First winter

Lauraadriana66

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2023
This is my first winter with my chicks , we live in northern Utah, it can get in the negative degrees but not double digits negative .. usually 20°-10°s … how should I winterize or is their own heat in the coop enough?

This is my first winter with my chicks , we live in northern Utah, it can get in the negative degrees but not double digits negative .. usually 20°-10°s … how should I winterize or is their own heat in the coop enough?
Most chickens do not need extra heat at that temperature.

Make sure wind does not blow directly on the chickens while they are sleeping on the roost.

But do not close things up entirely, because they still need fresh air. People seem to report more frostbitten combs in closed up chicken coops (higher humidity, from the chicken poop and chicken breath) than in open coops that actually get colder but stay less humid. So the idea is to have some air movement, but in places other than where the chickens sleep. Some people find it works well to have ventilation above the heads of the chickens while they are on the roost. Some other people have the air movement at one side or end of the chicken coop, while the chickens sleep at the other side or end.

A good check for how much air movement is too much: if the chickens' feathers are staying nicely in place, it is fine. If the feathers are blowing around, there is too much wind. This applies when they are on the roost at night, not to all parts of the coop & run. It is fine for the chickens to have access to windy areas when they are awake, when they can choose to be in the wind or not.

A specific detail: pay attention to water. It can freeze quickly at those temperatures. Thirsty chickens will not eat dry food, so soon they are both thirsty and hungry, which is not good when they are needing to eat extra food to keep warm! So either provide a heated water source (so it does not freeze), or be prepared to carry fresh water several times each day (first thing in the morning, about an hour before dark, and however often is needed in between.)

Most chickens do not need extra heat at that temperature.

Make sure wind does not blow directly on the chickens while they are sleeping on the roost.

But do not close things up entirely, because they still need fresh air. People seem to report more frostbitten combs in closed up chicken coops (higher humidity, from the chicken poop and chicken breath) than in open coops that actually get colder but stay less humid. So the idea is to have some air movement, but in places other than where the chickens sleep. Some people find it works well to have ventilation above the heads of the chickens while they are on the roost. Some other people have the air movement at one side or end of the chicken coop, while the chickens sleep at the other side or end.

A good check for how much air movement is too much: if the chickens' feathers are staying nicely in place, it is fine. If the feathers are blowing around, there is too much wind. This applies when they are on the roost at night, not to all parts of the coop & run. It is fine for the chickens to have access to windy areas when they are awake, when they can choose to be in the wind or not.

A specific detail: pay attention to water. It can freeze quickly at those temperatures. Thirsty chickens will not eat dry food, so soon they are both thirsty and hungry, which is not good when they are needing to eat extra food to keep warm! So either provide a heated water source (so it does not freeze), or be prepared to carry fresh water several times each day (first thing in the morning, about an hour before dark, and however often is needed in between.)
I really appreciate your response. I had chickens previously, but I used to live in Tijuana Mexico, where it doesn’t get colder than probably high 40s me and my husband built this coop following those same instructions regarding the ventilation you have brought me peace of mind! Bonus pic of the ladies!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    811.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
So many people worry about the cold. That really is not the issue, it is the moisture from warm bodies and breath, and the wind. Damp chickens in a breeze, are cold chickens.

Think of being in a car in the dark, with a bunch of people without the engine running. THAT is the conditions for most chicken houses. Almost immediately the cold surfaces are covered in condensation. Hours in that will make for damp chickens.

Small coops are very difficult to keep dry enough. Birds tend to be too close to the ceiling or to the walls. I like to have 12 -15 inches above their heads when they are roosting, and space so that a bird does not lean or pressed against a wall. I like deep dry bedding to absorb and dry out the manure. Manure is a big problem in the winter, because the birds are roosted for so long during the long nights.

Good ventilation is necessary here, to let that moisture out. You really need a lot of openings on the side of the building away from the prevailing wind. Think of a cold sunny day, and the wind is howling. That is cold, but if you step into a wind break, immediately you are a lot warmer.

So don't think warm, think dry and wind break. If you are wearing a thick coat, you really don't share body heat with another person. Birds are wearing the coat. Keep them dry and out of the wind.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom