First year raising Redd Rangers - data & insights

Wildgrass

Chirping
Aug 28, 2021
On, I believe, my 6th year of keeping backyard chickens, I decided I was ready to give larger-scale meat production a try. I ordered 40 Redd Rangers chicks 12 weeks ago, and as of today we have the birds butchered, weighed, and in the freezer. I collected a lot of data along the way to get an idea of what I can change in the future to make the endeavor more affordable and provide better husbandry for these birds in the future. I thought you all might enjoy seeing my numbers, and sharing what you've learned from your experience to help me learn a little faster. :p

farm.jpg

The Setting: I live in northern Colorado, far enough east from the mountains that our climate is extremely dry and windy in addition to having cold winters and hot, dry summers. Our last frost typically hits by mid-May. In my area, the main predator sources are coyotes, hawks, and my 2 year old husky mix, Wylie (AKA Wylie the Coyote). We have rattlesnakes and bull snakes but they rarely make it into the chicken run and have not caused losses. My chicken run is spacious and fully protects the birds from ground predators; we lost one to hawk strike in 5 years, and this year I'm putting some bird netting over the top of the run to see how it holds up through the weather. Since acquiring Wylie the Coyote, my birds do not free range, but with adequate predator protection I have grazable pasture in the spring. After a few weeks of growth it tends to be too tough for chickens, but it does host insect life.

birds 1.jpg

The Setup: I typically start my chicks in a room in my unfinished basement, and move them out into their own section of the run, with its own small coop, when weather allows. My thought process in getting the birds so early this year was that they would be grown out and butchered before our summer got overtaken by work in the vegetable garden. I also did not want to purchase Cornish crosses, preferring to raise a bird that could, theoretically, grow out and become a normal bird that reproduces. I purchased 40 Freedom Ranger hatchlings and brought them home February 15th.

Here are some small details that factor into numbers not being absolutely perfectly accurate:
  • Out of 40 purchased meat chicks, one was weak and being trampled on pickup. I separated it from the mob but it died as I got home.
  • I also bought 4 hatchlings to add to my laying flock, who grew up alongside the Rangers and whose diet is included in feed costs.
  • One hen developed a serious limp at 8 weeks and was culled at 9 weeks after crate rest did not improve it.
  • One hen, for now, survived harvest day and is living with the laying flock. She's naturally tame and pleasant and pretty, but I suspect I may need to cull her down the line due to structural issues.
  • All in all, 37 birds total were raised to "full term", and feed costs include 42-43 birds.
birds 3.jpg

The birds were started on starter feed, which I began to feed as fermented mash between 4 and 6 weeks. I also food-processed every bit of waste food we produced and mixed it into their feed, although by the time they were 8 weeks old or so it was a drop in the bucket. At 6 weeks, I transitioned their food to meat bird crumbles which were 21-23% protein depending on brand. At this time I also started buying from a feed store that mills their own feed, though there were a couple other non-local bags that were fed afterward as well. I was REALLY trying to get those feed costs down!

I did not let them free range due to inadequate fencing/predator protection. We have fairly unsuitable grazing for chickens on my property, but in the spring there's a lot of tender growth that they can eat at the start of spring. They were moved out of the house at...6-8 weeks? But they needed a lot of heat support and were in the coop full time when the weather was chilly, which was often.

birds 2.png

They were slaughtered at 12 weeks, by which time they had used up 12 8x8 bales of pine bedding, and had eaten around 710 pounds of food (a number inflated, at least slightly, by 4 egg birds, a meat bird granted clemency, and an early cull not represented in final data...but still!). Here's the data I gathered from 12 chicken-obsessed weeks:

weights by week.png

Weight tracking from purchase to slaughter date. I didn't weigh them on purchase and guessed at an average from googling around.

final weights.png

Initial reference for Redd Ranger slaughter weight and age, and final weights pre- and post-processing. Some birds were taken home un-processed, and some managed to skip being weighed in all the hubbub, so the averages are put together from the data I did have, and the estimated totals are using that average and multiplying it by 37. "Carcass weight" refers to a gutted bird with feet, wingtips and neck removed. "Total weight" includes head, neck, feet, wingtips, internal fat, and all organs except the intestine and gallbladder. We have spoiled dogs who will eat the organs and bony off-cuts, and humans will eat the carcass and rendered fat. With these totals, the feed ratio of bird food to human food is an uninspiring 6:1, double what people suggest is possible for Rangers. The feed ratio of bird food to human-and-dog food is a bit better, 4.4:1, and I mention it mostly to make myself feel better. It seems there's a lot of room for improvement here.

So, what do I take from this? Clearly, a 3:1 feed ratio is not possible without access to pasture. I have pastured chickens here before using portable electric fencing, but our soil is sandy and shallow, and the poles were breaking and falling down a lot by the end of the summer/autumn we used it. I have not trained dogs or chickens to the actual electrified fence, and now that I'm thinking about it, Wylie could absolutely jump a 4-foot temporary fence if it meant eating chickens. So, the solution to that problem may mean a lot more capital investment, or it may mean letting the birds graze while I'm at work and Wylie is inside during the week - which has its own drawbacks.

oh no 3.jpg

Additionally, by week 10, I was noticing roosters with soundness issues. By week 12, most or all of my roosters were limping, slow, and lying down most of the time. I had no idea until I started googling about it that it is not, in fact, perfectly safe and advisable to feed birds food with 23% protein. So, on the next round I would need to factor in slower growth, more food with a lower protein count, and the possibility that the hatchery I purchased from is producing birds that grow, by my standards, too quickly. So, how expensive is the bird I want to eat going to be?

oh no 1.jpg

(I don't know if this is a too-much-protein problem or a bad-genetic-combo problem, but it's hard not to feel bad for this bird.)

So, to wrap it up, I would love to hear what you think about raising Rangers, feeding Rangers, and what goes into the feed ratio you're working with. I didn't make a penny raising these birds, and the labor of cleaning, weighing, and hauling fermented feed was pretty absurdly high, but I did it for love, and I don't regret it. Up until some of them started having soundness issues, these birds had an amazing life, and I feel connected to and proud of the meat that's now in my freezer. But it was a BIG investment, and I have a lot to think about before I set out to do it again.

Last edited:
Nice write up. Thanks for sharing. But, for some reason, I was not able to access the links you embedded -- I got the "oops . . ." message.

this year I'm putting some bird netting over the top of the run to see how it holds up through the weather.
Make sure you get a very wide gauge netting. I have a 2 inch gauge, and my netting will collapse under the weight of a few inches of snow. Luckily, it rarely snows that much where I live, but the few times it does, I have to go out with a broom and knock it off.

Last edited:
I would love to hear what you think about raising Rangers,

I greatly prefer raising Rangers over CX. Now, I only raise Rangers, along with heritage birds for meat. I actually like the way heritage tastes slightly better, but I value the larger size and efficiency of the rangers.

I raise my rangers in small batches of 8 to 10 at a time, and they are mixed in with my heritage birds. For the past few cycles, I've sourced from Freedom Ranger hatchery and buy hatching eggs rather than chicks. Sometimes I'm lucky and have a broody hen available to do the rearing for me.

Like you, I value that they have a more active and healthy life. Particularly those raised by broody hens, they are far more active and able to live longer and more normal lives.

I feed my chick starter for the first 2-3 weeks and then switch them over to 20% protein flock raiser. They have a large yard with a fair amount of natural forage. I also supplement by sprouting a mix of wheat, barley and BOSS, and giving them garden excess, and food leftovers. The sprouted grains help keep cost down as they are cheaper than the regular feed, and, with the 20% protein feed and occasional meat scraps and meal worms, the protein seems to work out fine. This is the same diet my laying flock and heritage meat birds get as well.

I've not tracked the costs out, but, like you, I'm sure I'm not making money. However, I enjoy the product much, much than store bought birds. One, because it tastes significantly better, IMO, and second, I like knowing they had a good life and fast, clean death.

I greatly prefer raising Rangers over CX. Now, I only raise Rangers, along with heritage birds for meat. I actually like the way heritage tastes slightly better, but I value the larger size and efficiency of the rangers.

I raise my rangers in small batches of 8 to 10 at a time, and they are mixed in with my heritage birds. For the past few cycles, I've sourced from Freedom Ranger hatchery and buy hatching eggs rather than chicks. Sometimes I'm lucky and have a broody hen available to do the rearing for me.

Like you, I value that they have a more active and healthy life. Particularly those raised by broody hens, they are far more active and able to live longer and more normal lives.

I feed my chick starter for the first 2-3 weeks and then switch them over to 20% protein flock raiser. They have a large yard with a fair amount of natural forage. I also supplement by sprouting a mix of wheat, barley and BOSS, and giving them garden excess, and food leftovers. The sprouted grains help keep cost down as they are cheaper than the regular feed, and, with the 20% protein feed and occasional meat scraps and meal worms, the protein seems to work out fine. This is the same diet my laying flock and heritage meat birds get as well.

I've not tracked the costs out, but, like you, I'm sure I'm not making money. However, I enjoy the product much, much than store bought birds. One, because it tastes significantly better, IMO, and second, I like knowing they had a good life and fast, clean death.
Thanks for the tip about netting, mine is very fine mesh and likely doomed, but maybe I can get another year's use out of it.

I don't think I have a freshly milled option for 20% protein available, but I could mix their turkey/duck feed (23%) and layer feed (16 or 18%) to get that ratio without a huge amount of trouble. I'm interested in supplementing with sprouted grains as well, but nothing beats using "free" pasture that's out there growing on its own.

I didn't really see profit as an option for growing birds out, since my main concern is that these birds have the best life I can provide them, but I would love to have enough buyers and a profit margin that paid for my own birds, ideally. It'll be something to work on down the line!

What heritage breeds do you raise? I'm a little curious about crossing heritage dual purpose/meat birds with healthy Rangers to try and get an economical, sustainable meat bird, but I don't know enough about incubating yet to start that adventure.

What heritage breeds do you raise? I'm a little curious about crossing heritage dual purpose/meat birds with healthy Rangers to try and get an economical, sustainable meat bird, but I don't know enough about incubating yet to start that adventure.
It's been whatever rooster I have on hand -- Amaracuna, Naked Neck and currently, a Maran. I've also gotten some free-bee males from hatcheries. They Wyandotte's were surprisingly big and tasty. I kind of wish I had kept one for breeding. The marans are quite tasty, but the rooster I kept, is terrible with the hens so he is going to be replaced this summer.

I've also experimented with cross breeding the Naked Neck to held over broilers and liked the offspring very much for eating. However, when I tried to make it self-sustaining by keeping a rooster that was a cross between the naked neck and a slow white broiler, "Big Boy" only had one year of good breeding. By year two, he was so big and clumsy, he was hurting the hens and having trouble mounting them.

This year I'm looking to try either an orpington rooster, or maybe go back to a naked neck rooster. It's really hot in the summer here, and the naked necks are very hardy. Plus fewer feathers, makes them easier to pluck.

I just have an assortment of hatchery birds in my laying flock, but the cuckoo maran hen is definitely BIG. She's four years old and just massive, but I don't recall how her growth rates were. Maybe I'll look around at the free cockerels in my area and see if somebody looks like a nice breeding prospect...my sussex rooster and I aren't getting along right now.

I wonder if you'd have had any good luck with a son of Big Boy...man, I have so much to learn when it comes to chicken breeding and conformation, but it sure is interesting!

I didn't keep a son from Big Boy. By the time I knew I needed a new rooster, he was already causing too much damage to the hens trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to mount them.

However, I really wish I had saved an offspring from my Amaracuna rooster. He was large enough and a fantastic rooster -- great with the hens, 100% fertility at the age of 7. He was my first rooster and I stupidly thought that all roosters were all going to be like him.

Oh, darn it! I haven't had an amazing rooster yet. I had a really promising cockerel a couple years back, I picked him out of a group of 7 with my current rooster as backup. Friendly, thoughtful buff orpington, was very fond of me and let me handle his hens. But that was the year I found out my 8 month old birds could fly out of the run, and my very-wonderful-except-for-his-prey-drive teenage husky mix made short work of them. Hence the netting going up this past weekend! I really just need it to keep my pullets within the run until they get too chunky to clear a 6 foot fence. I'm still crossing my fingers and dreaming of a great rooster, it just seems to be a numbers game.

Back
Top Bottom