First Year Summary

Alagirl

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Central Alabama
Maybe it's random, but it might help folks out who are looking to start on their chicken adventure.

So nearing on the 1 year anniversary to be owned by 5 feathered friends I learned a few things

1) Don't name the chickens.
Sure, for most of us, they are pets, destined to live a long life with marginal productivity.
Not naming them makes tough decisions easier (not easy, just a little easier)
So out of my 5 the Barred Rocks are not as nice as I hoped. They peck on one other hen and don't produce as nicely. The shells are on the fragile side.
But they have names. So I am concerned about giving them away and relinquishing control over their destiny.
Seeing they don't lay as nicely Stew might be in their future.

2) Minimum footage is that. Minimum.
Go larger in the run/coop, or err on the side of prudence and get fewer chickens.
See above, one hen keeps getting picked.
the 8x8 run was barren of any greenery within 2 weeks of occupation.
Also, a square layout is not easily furbished to give chickens the space they need to get away from each other. I am still working on that. Life has been crazy, I am happy when I remember to feed them.

3) you probably do not need so many chickens.
No, really. Depending on the breed, you will probably not use the eggs as they arrive.
I know it is about sacrilege to say that here but if your egg consumption is moderate one bird a person is probably plenty.

4) get a system to keep up with the eggs.
I don't have one. I lost complete track.

5) if you think you have enough feed and water stations, add one or two.
far, far away from each other.
because if the ladies are having a spat, the weaker one might lose out.

6) mix up the flock.
Until you know your way around, how to identify your birds easily, etc.
I have 2, 2 and 1. My Ameraucanas are no problem, they lay and are happy (minus the pecked one, but I get eggs from her on a regular basis)
The RIR is no problem. she is the single. I know here big brown egg anywhere.
the two Barred Rocks are not. I get few eggs from them and don't know from which. I find a broken egg from them on occasion, and the intact eggs I get have thin shells. Compared to the other 3 birds.

7) It is Ok to cover the whole run*
Ok, my run is my coop. I thought it would be enough to cover half the roof and be Ok with it. The considerations were sunlight and general exposure to the elements.
In reality, the whole run turns into a muddy mess when it rains. It is wire all around, so there is no shortage of sunlight ever.

I am sure I forgot a few of my lessons.
I might add as I go.
and yeah, since the egg prices dropped back to normal, the cut-even point is back to a couple of hundred dozen eggs for the investment.
I am not doing it for the 'savings'
I like the idea of being a farm girl, and the eggs are better.
But way more expensive than even the organic offers from the boutique grocer.

Oh, and
8) Stagger the acquisition
if you fill up your coop with same-age chicks at one time they will be pretty much on the same schedule laying eggs. I wish I had only gotten 2 or three last year, so I could get some new ones now. My chicks started to lay mid-November and laid right through the winter but I am expecting to see a dip in production that time. With a couple of new girls that would be covered.
Oh well. Did I mention we don't eat that many eggs?

Back
Top Bottom