Fish tank water for quail?

Rudy93013

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Springdale AR
Has anyone ever thought of or have reused the water from a fish tank to give to chickens or quails? I have a 30gal fish tank i clean it out once every 2 weeks i take out 10gallons my waterers are each 5gall buckets. Has anyone ever used water from a fish tank to water theor fowl? Is this bad for them?

IDK I've seen my chickens drink worse (duck pond water, pigs water pit/mud holes) even when they're had fresh water but what's the point?
Water is cheap.
Never had to really clean a fish tank that often either.

Has anyone ever thought of or have reused the water from a fish tank to give to chickens or quails? I have a 30gal fish tank i clean it out once every 2 weeks i take out 10gallons my waterers are each 5gall buckets. Has anyone ever used water from a fish tank to water theor fowl? Is this bad for them?

Don't know how good the water from a fish tank would be for a bird. However, it's fantastic for watering plants.

I would not consider such a thing. Too much opportunity for the birds to get sick from the practice. I think the excess nitrates would be hard on the bird's kidneys. However, as PP stated, the water removed from a fish tank makes incredible plant fertilizer. Put it to good use: On your house plants, on ornamentals, on all garden plants except for root crops, in your compost.

Yes! As plant food it's great. As a water source for any other critters, including your chickens, it's a terrible idea. The birds do drink out of grubby puddles, but they need fresh water in their waterers!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom