Fitting Large Quail Eggs Into Turning Racks

dc3085

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
A lot of people who receive their first jumbo quail eggs (especially JMF eggs) have issues fitting them into the rails on little giant or gqf automatic turners. 13-15 gram eggs can't be fit into both rows on one quail egg tray either because of their girth or height. They will either be too wide to even fit side by side, or the edge of the next tray will break the eggs. The best way I've found so far and lose no eggs is to use the outer rows on 4 quail rails and use one chicken rail between two of the quail rails. This allows you to fit 47 eggs in one turner without risking damage to any of them.

Here is a picture for better reference

Are those JMF eggs or yours? That looks great. I used to love having that problem. Mine just would fit one root in every try tho. A few I had to move to the ends.

These eggs are from my own stock but i started this line using jmf pharaohs crossed with some of my old genetics. I lost most of two separate lines of birds to an enterprising racoon about a year a half ago so this line is the remnants of my pharaohs mixed with jmf pharaohs.

Yeah he got some beauties too. I accidentally started generating pharaoh hens with an almost black face and was trying to pin it down when he got me. I was also working on breeding golden speckleds with red spots instead of black. Got my best looking golden roos too. You live and learn. It's like Ft Knox out there now
lol.png

I'm still mad about him eating these two roos all this time later.

I wish I would have found this thread sooner! The same exact problem I had with my Genesis Hova-Bator and the 1610 auto turner. And what to do with 120 quail eggs on hand!

Long story short, Genesis now becomes a hatcher, the 1610 auto turner goes in the closet or trash, and the new Dickey incubator is pure pleasure to work with!

And yes, JMF will send you eggs in the 17 g. range, no worries with a Dickey.

Thanks for the great visual. Problem solving at it's finest.
wee.gif

I just got a new incubator with a clear bottom half. It was too hard to see the water level in it... so I added some food coloring and did my own victory dance.
wee.gif

Does that make us twins? LOL

Back
Top Bottom