Five toed breeds

Firedancer87

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
NC
Are there five toed chicken breeds other than the Dorking? If so, do they have grey/slate colored legs? I have this rather oddly colored hen with five toes, grey legs, red ears, small single comb & a reddish/grey penciling all over. She probably weighs between 5-7lbs. Any ideas?

Quote:
Can persist for many generations. Polydactyly is dominant, as is foot feathering. (actually there are several genes for each, but the predominant ones of both are dominant--eac does have a recessive gene, though).

Ok, SAVE MY MARRIAGE! LOL Hubby and I are arguing about Captain Friz. He has 5 toes. He is supposed to be purebred frizzle. So if frizzles don't have 5 toes, what is he?

I can take toe pix tomorrow if that would help.

welcome-byc.gif

I'm not huge on frizzle genetics, but I can tell you frizzle is a feather gene, not a breed. You could breed the frizzle into pretty much any breed, if you were so inclined. Lots of frizzles are based on Cochins, and Cochins get mixed with Silkies all the time, so my first guess would be a Cochin/Silkie mix, with the Silkie far enough up the tree to lose the comb. I'm not aware of any white, five toed, non-crested, straight combed pure breeds. Looking at him, my guess would have been frizzled Cochin. Are you sure there are five toes, or are you possibly counting the spur?

Can anyone tell me if Ayam Cemanis have 5 toes? I was given 2 chicks, though still not sure exact breed, that where said to be silkies at first. They are about 10 weeks old now and definitely not silkies! I posted a poc on here and was told ayam cemani, still not sure though. They are solid black but my rooster, Scratch, has 5 toes. I haven't been able to find anything about ayams having 5 toes or not...please help!

Silkies don't have straight combs but walnut combs and they have full crests, feathered legs/toes, and 5 toes each foot with fluffy fur rather than hard feathers. This isn't a Silkie you have. As for what breed it is I can't help but sure is a handsome fella.

Silkies have five toes and dark skin, you probably have a silkie cross of some sort. Other than silkies, there's the Dorkings which you mention, the Houdan and....hmm. There's surely at least one more but it's escaping me.

In addition to the breeds already noted, Houdans and Sultans also have 5 toes. They are pretty distinguishable from other chickens, though.

Well, she's definately not a silky cross. She is feathered like an EE, minus the beard, but with the body of a Orpington. As I said before in another post, she came from my late grandpa who was an avid rare breed collector. I can't recall ever seeing this coloring in any breed I know of. I would post a pic, but the forum won't let me yet. I'm stumped!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom