Fixing vent gleet with baby chicks?

nfrost

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
I have found out that it's vent gleet killing off my chicks, first I was wondering if adding apple cider vinager and plain yogurt to there diet can fix this I went to the local coop and they only had a probiotic plus to help digestion so with these thig can I fix vent gleet a u info would be much appreciated!!

This has got some really useful info on gleet

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment.html

but are you sure it's gleet and not just pasty butt? Pasty butt can be caused by a lack of protein, too much heat, not enough or general stress. The chicks get loose stools, it gets stuck to their down and blocks their vent, preventing further passing of stools. It can be gently cleaned off with warm water and then address the cause....is the heat too high/not high enough? Try feeding some boiled or scrambled egg to firm up the stools. Natural yoghurt helps too. Are you feeding them on chick crumbles?

Yes feeding them crumbles and no it's not pasty butt that I have seen before it's leaking white past from there butt they feel bloated and like constipated and I have cleaned off there butts daily and still loosing some I started them on little apple cider vinegar and put yogurt in there food and a little probiotics also!

Chicks that young aren't dying of vent gleet. Coccidiosis is the most common illness that you will see in chicks 3-20 weeks old. Corid treatment may be in order. Keeping them on a good 20%protein chick starter/grower with Probios Dispersible powder or a little buttermilk in the food 2-3 times a week, and some poultry vitamins a couple of times a week would be the best thing. Too much yogurt can be more of a problem in chicks because it has too much calcium, and that can constipate some. Rooster Booster sells a combo vtiamin/probiotic powder for the water at TSC.

Idk if this helps but here is a picture of one of there droppings

Back
Top Bottom