Flaked Corn versus Cracked Corn

DWilson

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hi Everyone! I went to the feed store today, and was given flaked corn instead of cracked corn. I normally give it to my ducks as a treat... Can you give the larger 'flakes' or will they choke on it?

Thanks!

It's almost like dried and sliced corn kernals. The cracked is almost ground- very fine....

I have 8 ducks; 5 Welsh Harlequins, 1 Khaki Campbell and 1 Goldstar, and 1 cross between a Welsh Harlequin and a Khaki Campbell (I think). They are mixed ages. What about you?

Nine Runners, four Buffs, all just turned five years old. I don't give corn - not because I am superior, I just generally don't have it around and we have other things I give them from time to time, like flaxseed, wheat, and the occasional bit of dry cat kibble (small bits).

Flaked? never heard of it cracked, and whole yes.

I used whole corn here, even my calls can eat it if older. Really fine or small is actually harder for ducks to eat, since ducks shovel their food in vs pecking like chickens...

I'd just keep an eye and plenty of water around. Did the feed mill mess up? personally i'd exchange if they did.

I remember my grandparents having flaked corn for the horses years ago. It looked like pressed rolled corn and was pretty big. Maybe crush it a bit and see how they do. I would return it if it isn't a big hassle.

Last edited:
Hey- Thanks! I had assumed that smaller and finer was actually easier for them to eat. Yes, the feed store messed up- it was a new person just learning lol- ended up with layer crumbles too rather than mash..

The chickens should be good with it all if the ducks aren't..

I feed whole corn along with layer. I had a problem with the cracked corn being moldy. With the whole corn I have not had that problem. Plus it is cheaper and they are able to pick it up easier. Less mess with whole corn and layer pellets.

Whole corn and pelleted feed are better for ducks. More and more nutrition studies show that pelleted feed is better (even from day 1) for all poultry.

Thanks everyone! I'm thinking I might just stick with the pellets now- and good to know the cracked corn wasn't the way to go anyways!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom