Fleas or what?

SueBaby

Songster
8 Years
Feb 14, 2011
Oceanside, CA
One of my girls has what look like fleas on her wattle and around her face. They are clearly visible (not tiny specks like what mites are supposed to look like). They are dark brown (not light colored like lice), have elongated bodies (not rounded like mites). I pulled a couple of them out and looked at them with a magnifying lens. They look like fleas to me, although I don't have dogs or cats and don't have much experience with fleas at all. Didn't see them actually jump like a flea.

Several of the threads I read before posting this said chickens don't get fleas. So my questions are...

1. Are these really fleas or is it something else?

2. Whatever it is, can I treat it without resorting to poison?

I saw a post that mentioned using oil or something like that to smother them. Is that a possible remedy?

Appreciating your wisdom in advance- S

It sounds like stick tight fleas. Do a forum search on them. Somewhere there is a thread about their control. Good luck, they are tough little critters.

Went back and looked again. They are jumping!
sad.png

Get some Diatomaceous Earth

A poster here used a paper bag...put Diatomaceous Earth in the bag, put the bird in the bag with just the head sticking out, close the bag around the birds neck/head.....shake gently.The dust will eventually get on the birds head and kill the fleas.

You can also put some in a pile in the coop, the birds will dust themselves with it.

You also have to treat your coop and run with Diatomaceous Earth.

Back
Top Bottom