FLEAS?

Hi, Mine don't have external parasites. But I do know that if you give them organic apple cider vinegar (1 teaspoon per gallon of water) that it will help reduce internal and external parasites. Make sure they are allowed to dust bathe in the dirt. If you use the search feature at the top of the page you can enter keywords to help you find the answers on this site.
Best wishes!
smile.png

What do they look like? If they are pale yellowish and close to the bottom of the feather shafts, they are most likly lice. I hear DE can take care of it but I personally have not tried that. I use a lice powder I get at the feed store. I forget what it is called. Just dust it on the birds once a week for a few weeks and the problem is gone... or so you hope. Just be careful, don't breathe the stuff and wash hands and clothes when you are done. I also put this powder into their dusting holes so they dust themselves.

What you really need to do is get rid of the flea problem in the brooder area.

I don't know what you can put on 3 day old chicks, I wouldn't put anything on them. Clean out the brooder and replace all the bedding with clean stuff. Move the brooder to a place that you do not have a flea problem. I would take each chick and remove the fleas by hand (assuming these are fleas and not mites or lice) and then place them in the cleaned brooder. Please don't put any pesticides or poisons on those little babies- at least not unless the product states it is safe for newly hatched chicks.

I would suggest dusting the cleaned brooder with food grade DE and mixing it in the clean bedding/wood shavings/straw. Also dust the chicks being gentle not stirring up too much powder/dust for them to inhale. You can also mix it into their feed.

Good luck. I hope you get rid of the problem quickly.

I would believe these could be transmitted from mice and rats so it would be important to keep these critters under control. When dealing with them you need to address the egg, larva, and adult flea; I utilize DE so I haven’t seen a flea for sometime now, I would stay away from dangerous chemical pesticides. I have heard of all kinds of natural remedies from flowers, cloves, and baking soda. I imagine others can share their knowledge when it comes to alternatives.

the things are yellowish ad there are lots of them i think they got them from outside since the are with the mom(RUFOOS). i got some apple cider viniger should i use that.

Back
Top Bottom