Flexibility vs Set in my ways

Vicker

Songster
9 Years
Jun 28, 2014
Texas
As a long-time chicken keeper, my setups and methods change as my flocks change. One big change I'm making now involves my stance on roosters and broody hens. For me, roosters have been more trouble to the hens than they're worth--until circumstances in the world took a drastic turn. With increased cost and sometimes scarcity of eggs and chicks, it's now necessary to have a more dependable source for new chickens. So I was gifted a lovely rooster that seems to go easy on the girls so far (except for one that he just won't stop bullying) and his crow is tolerable. Three of my Black Australorps were constantly going broody last year. I had to go to great lengths to break them or else they'd sit in the nest until they croaked. So now, I'm getting impatient waiting for them to do it again! I want to let them do what they've been longing to do and let them raise the next generation for me. Won't it be ironic if they decide they're going to make changes as well and not go broody?

I never stressed over what the birds did. They want to brood, have at it. Always enjoyed the crowing of roosters and never was without one. The management was always handled by my wife, welfare by me. We did get an incubator for insurance. Years ago we would take any extra birds to auction and never any back home. As they were young birds they rarely made it to the auction block. We now have a small flock of 9 BLK AUS 10 wks and 4 wks. This is enough for us rather than the 30 to 50 we had in yrs past. I just enjoy having live lawn ornaments at this stage of my life. I can't and don't try to change instinctual behavior.

It sure would. Any chance you can get an incubator? That would either let you hatch eggs, or reverse the irony and make your girls go broody. :)
I need to replace my incubator, but I'd really like to let the hen do the raisin' of the next brood.

I never stressed over what the birds did. They want to brood, have at it. Always enjoyed the crowing of roosters and never was without one. The management was always handled by my wife, welfare by me. We did get an incubator for insurance. Years ago we would take any extra birds to auction and never any back home. As they were young birds they rarely made it to the auction block. We now have a small flock of 9 BLK AUS 10 wks and 4 wks. This is enough for us rather than the 30 to 50 we had in yrs past. I just enjoy having live lawn ornaments at this stage of my life. I can't and don't try to change instinctual behavior.
I only stress when they don't budge off the nest inside a metal coop in 100+ degree temps. I've had some that probably would have died waiting on chicks that were never going to materialize.

Back
Top Bottom