Flies!!! :(

Eggcellent Adventure

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
Hi,

I seem to be having a fly problem! I put DE in the coop which has actually been pretty fly free, it's the free range area around the coop that is attracting all the flies. Just spread some DE around the ground out there too - so hopefully will improve. Any other things/products to suggest?? I put a couple of those sticky fly traps up too.

Thanks!

I went searching for a particular post that you could read about flies, but there are PAGES on how to control flies!
wink.png
So I was unable to find it. But in this post I was looking for, someone claims that the scent "vanilla" is a smell that flies do not like. The smell in those "maple leaves" you hang in your car, or the ones you pop up and vanilla smell comes out of them. She swore that for 2 years now, she has not had much fly issues and that it truly works.

Give it a try. Get a bunch of those maple leaves or the pop up scent thingys and hang them around. See if it works. Sounds like a cheap fix and if it doesn't work, you didn't spend too much money on it. Oh and let me know if it works, as I too have too many flies!
smile.png

Last edited:
I cleaned out the litter from a run a couple of weekends ago PLUS dumped some brooder poo/shavings. Lots of flies immediately, and of course, cooking in 90 degree heat made them come all the more.

So, I dusted it down with 5% Sevin dust -- the flies were all gone in a few hours. I assume they got enough of a dose when feeding that they went off and died elsewhere, I didn't see any dead flies around the area where I dumped the litter to compost.

I have a fly trap with refill packages that does work. However, I'm going to try hanging some vanilla air fresheners. If it works that sounds cool!

I have been having horrible issues with flies as well!! And now, all of a sudden we are dealing with worms! Oy Vey!!!! I've put down at least 3 lbs of DE and still nothing. Maybe I'll try the sevin dust and the vanilla... oh i hope it can help! Also, what can I do with a dirt floor??? It seems we ALWAYS get mold in it. We are in the process of building the new coop, and the chickens are in the dog run.... Ideas??

Quote:
I have heard of a product called "Stalldry" (sp) that is supposed to dry up wet floors and should cure your mold issues. I have never used it, being that we are dry as an old bone in the desert,
lol.png
, but I would bet that would work for you.

Good luck with the fly issues, I am going to try the Sevin dust tonight and see if the flies head off to die somewhere.
smile.png

UGH!! Lucky! Lol, i would love to live in the desert. Well, I will try the stall-dri stuff, or just hurry up and make that coop.... sevin dust I'll try as well. Thanks!!

Either Stall Dry or PDZ around the outside works good. It dries things up and if you happen to dump a pile of old little just take a small can and spread either of the two on the pile. I find it works wonders for me as flie get crazy when it is 90 like it is here in Gumboro.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom