Flight feathers

kellyschippy

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
connecticut
At what age would be appropriate to trim flight feathers? Our babies are 5 weeks old and live outside full time. Their run is not covered on top and i dont want to risk one of them flying out over the 6ft fence

As long as they aren't actively growing blood feathers you can trim them anytime. Young birds will need multiple trims as they go through multiple molt. I would do one wing. 6 foot is a pretty high fence though, and most birds can't fly over it without something to hop up on first.

As long as they aren't actively growing blood feathers you can trim them anytime. Young birds will need multiple trims as they go through multiple molt. I would do one wing. 6 foot is a pretty high fence though, and most birds can't fly over it without something to hop up on first.

What are blood feathers?

I got this pic off this site as far as how to cut their feathers

A blood feather has the vein still in the feather shaft feeding the growth of it. The base will be dark, and the feather is often encased in a sheath. If cut they will bleed profusely and the rest of the feather shaft will need plucking. Check the feather base before cutting they should be white or clear.

Cut off the primary flight feathers as shown in your picture. Be aware they can't always fly up to roosts afterwards, so make sure the first roost is about a foot off the ground with a foot between them. When coming off high roosts they can crash land and potentially hurt their legs, especially when getting used to being clipped.

Back
Top Bottom