flock of 3 in the burbs

Welcome. I get what you mean when a chicken is "off" but how is she "off"? and how does she rank in pecking order?
Hasn't laid an egg in a week, walking and running normal, eating fine, talking too much as usual, but not acting broody either (with the others' eggs, we have no rooster). She laid eggs mostly daily (about 80 percent) through the winter, now nothing at all lately (she is my only blue egg layer).

2 year old. No apparent distress, eyes look good, breathing okay. I didn't see any bugs or mites underwing or around vent. Per my digital exam she is not egg bound (and is walking running scratching preening all fine). Poop in the coop and run all look normal. Besides the "no eggs" and slight comb discoloration, only other thing I can notice is when I let her fly around a bit and try to escape my exam, with exertion I can hear audible breathing, but it calms down within seconds of being still again. (Not sure what the breathing should sound like after exertion, lol. But it's not raspy no stridor, etc., just like harder breathing when you exercise which quickly dissipates with rest.)

She is second in pecking order, the 2 legbars have the same mom, were caged early together, and 'tolerate' the barred rock.

Hasn't laid an egg in a week, walking and running normal, eating fine, talking too much as usual, but not acting broody either (with the others' eggs, we have no rooster). She laid eggs mostly daily (about 80 percent) through the winter, now nothing at all lately (she is my only blue egg layer).

2 year old. No apparent distress, eyes look good, breathing okay. I didn't see any bugs or mites underwing or around vent. Per my digital exam she is not egg bound (and is walking running scratching preening all fine). Poop in the coop and run all look normal. Besides the "no eggs" and slight comb discoloration, only other thing I can notice is when I let her fly around a bit and try to escape my exam, with exertion I can hear audible breathing, but it calms down within seconds of being still again. (Not sure what the breathing should sound like after exertion, lol. But it's not raspy no stridor, etc., just like harder breathing when you exercise which quickly dissipates with rest.)

She is second in pecking order, the 2 legbars have the same mom, were caged early together, and 'tolerate' the barred rock.
Just a few ideas to try considering she maybe just needs a pick-me-up:

Try some vitamin water every other day for a week or two. I use mostly Poultry Cell.

Ensure there is some oyster shell available.

Provide probiotics for a week or two. That can be done using various powders in their water. We use Hydro-Hen here for chicks and chickens. Also, Greek yogurt is high. We also ferment grains and sprout some too, both are good sources as well.

A warm bath in Epsom salt water for about 10 minutes and a warm blow dry after.

I hope she starts acting normal soon!

Glad to meet you and welcome to BYC. Best wishes that your bird feels better soon!

Besides posting here, you might want to know that there is a forum to discuss health problems and injuries. Also,

BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!

Just a few ideas to try considering she maybe just needs a pick-me-up:

Try some vitamin water every other day for a week or two. I use mostly Poultry Cell.

Ensure there is some oyster shell available.

Provide probiotics for a week or two. That can be done using various powders in their water. We use Hydro-Hen here for chicks and chickens. Also, Greek yogurt is high. We also ferment grains and sprout some too, both are good sources as well.

A warm bath in Epsom salt water for about 10 minutes and a warm blow dry after.

I hope she starts acting normal soon!
Thank you for the advise, will do. I especially resonate with the blow dry after Epsom salt bath, pampered hens.

Glad to meet you and welcome to BYC. Best wishes that your bird feels better soon!

Besides posting here, you might want to know that there is a forum to discuss health problems and injuries. Also,

BYC Lists of Chicken Ailments and Cures

To look for articles on your own:

A. Use the SEARCH button, but use the Advanced Search choice, and select ARTICLES at the top of the box. Just enter your keyword(s) and scroll through your results!

B. I find it helpful to notice the rating and reviews. All articles are by BYC members, and all the reviews/ratings are as well. The ratings help a newbie like me sort the most useful and reliable articles.

C. You can bookmark the articles or posts you think you want to refer to again using that bookmark icon at the top of articles or posts. You can find them again by clicking on your own avatar and looking at the list of bookmarks you have built up!
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom