Flock URI, Egg WD on Tylan 50 injectible? *UPDATE I need help please, my flock is very sick*

Thanks.

Morning Update. My hen made it through the night. I don't think she's worse but can't tell that she's doing better yet. I've freshened her bedding, and she has opened her eyes for very brief periods. She sleeps constantly but she has made small drinking attempts and picked a bite or two of food but nothing radical. She's breathing a little more rattled but not gaping. Sounds like shes purring or snoring. Or maybe it's a death rattle. I'm unsure because she normally doesn't rattle. It's not constant but frequently occuring. She's on vitamin and apple cider water, and 16% crumble. I give her 3/4ml of tylan50 inj x 2 daily. 1/4ml penG inj. 1 x daily. 1/4ml a blend of homeopathic upper respiratory support syrup to help dry up and clear out the mucus.

My Roos also made it through the night. The roo this all started with is doing much better, voice is sounding good again and not raspy. Only a slight sneeze and cough. My alpha roo- the one it hit hard and quick who I thought may die seems to be improving. Yesterday he was unable to crow at all, was unable to speak. Didn't even try as it seemed all he did was gag on mucus. This morning he actually tried crowing and it sounded pretty good, albeit pitiful and raspy but hey he did it! Yesterday he couldn't even try. He's on 1 1/4ml inj Tylan50 x 2 daily. 1/4ml PenG 1 X daily. 1/4ml homeopathic upper respiratory support syrup.

Now just waiting and praying my hen pulls through. She's a young one and so sweet. So far no one else in my flock is symptomatic that I can tell. Now that my infected birds are seemingly pulling through I'm leaning towards MG after talking to the pathologist. Coryza sounds much nastier.

Last edited:
The rattling may be rales, a sound of mucus in the airway. We they cough like we do, it may clear out and not be there after it is swallowed. It's good to hear they are a little better.

Update again, the roos are back to their normal self they seem. Although one - the one it hit really bad, is still less active than usual but still active. He is crowing again. Seems fine but obviously recovering.

My hen, she seemed like she was turning the curve and doing much much better. All of a sudden, she reverted. No signs of mucus, just suddenly not active, very weak, can't stand, wouldn't move. Sat for hours in the same place doing nothing. Wings drooped at her side. Not very alert. And mouth drooling.. (She was by the water tank). Her crop wasn't large, didn't seem like she was actually ingesting any food or water. And downhill fast she went.

Well, that began early this morning. Hours later- she has left us this evening and went on to fly high on that mountain. I've prepared her body to go out first thing to the FL Dept of Ag Lab for testing/necropsy. 30 day turn around, but hopefully should know something as to what the hedoublehockysticks just happened in my flock... Hopefully to vaccinate but possibly to know whether culling and starting over is what needs to be done.

Thanks for your help Eggcessive.

Last edited:
Update: Necropsy came back with no positive results for any upper respiratory illness or disease. So my hen was an anomaly apparently. I contacted the lab and explained I am deeply distressed because the hen I submitted didn't yield any results as to what was going around my flock. I inquired on how I can find out what is ailing my flock because I can't do anything at this point as they are on lock down not to mention I am worried this is something they will be carriers of and I am facing decisions to cull. Everyone has at some point sneezed in my flock and shown some signs by now and its worrisome.

After talking with the state lab about how the bird submitted apparently hadn't contracted yet- the illness presenting with the flock, I needed further help. I asked if we can swab or do other tests. They told me that swabs are more difficult to send in, and that it would be troublesome for me to try due to handling and shipping proceedures. Of course I could probably do some swabs and drive them a few hours there. Which I have considered.

With all of my concerns and distress the lab contacted and sent out the state poultry vet in my area for an investigation. He was very nice. Dr. Wolf specifically has a great fondness and love for chickens. He inspected my little farm and loved our set up. He commended us and offered even better suggestions on our custom feeders we will be looking at designing in the future.

Anyway upon examining the birds, he picked up many of them. Feeling their breast plates and such, and looking them over from head to toe. He commented that he didn't have the impression from exam that they were diseased. He commented during the investigation that he was observing several are sneezing and he acknowledged they were fighting off something, but he said it wasn't a disease in his experienced opinion. He even saw one with mucus bubbles in her eyes. I pressed him for further explanation as I suspected at the very least MG, or IB, and even asked about Coryza (which he politely corrected my pronounciation) but declined all my guesses at disease and commented he wasn't seeing any of that in the flock.

He examined droppings and and further commented that I didn't need to keep my flock on lock down. He said they don't have anything serious. I inquired as to why he thought they were sick or sneezing? He said it's likely just a little cold. He said we've had some serious cold spells around the time the symptoms presented, and continued on to reassure me he wasn't convinced an investigation into disease was necessary. He took pictures of all the birds, and our set up. And told me to look into NPIP certification.

I'm trying to feel better now, but like I told my neighbor who farms horses- It's hard to let it sink in- "that my flock is actually ok". It's like being informed by a family doctor without testing you likely have cancer (you also have all the signs of cancer) and then seeing an oncologist (doc who specializes in cancer) that says "I don't think you have cancer" but didn't run any tests either and you still have serious symptoms. But he's the expert right? I trust his judgement, he specifically studied birds before vet school, and their illnesses, and then went to vet school just for poultry I'm sure he knows what to look for and what he's talking about. Although my birds were looking healthier than usual yesterday.

Last edited:
Well, it's good that they did not find anything that points to infection. I wonder if the Tylan affected the nexropsy results or cultures. Did he swab the chicken with the eye bubbles? Chickens unfortunately don't get colds, but viruses and infections. But I do see a hen of mine who develops foam in her eyes on very cold days. She has no sneeze, rattly breathing, or nasal drainage. I would love to get her tested, and may, since my local vet has a new person who is interested in chickens. Maybe what you are seeing is something related to the environment or weather. Any way, I would once again try to get testing if you lose another one. What state are you in?

Last edited:
I'm in Florida, and the state poultry vet mentioned the illness being related to the weather because we did around the time of onset have quite extreme lows for our area. Like I think we actually had a little freeze spell. Normally even now we have 80s-90s.

Anyway when I questioned the symptoms and eyes he said sinusitis but nothing contagious. IDK whether antibiotics would affect the cultures or tests, but we covered all the meds and antibiotics and supplements the flock was treated with. I pushed hard and he would very kindly but firmly reassure me stating that they had absolutely nothing to worry about or cull for.

I have received no further notice either from them. And no one else died. Just the one who died from something totally unrelated.

The flock got over whatever it was. I only have a few (less than 10% of my flock-) with very minor sinus symptoms tapering off.

Also, laying doesn't seem to be impacted. No marked or misshapen eggs. No decrease in production. I have a fickle maran-americauana EE who is laying olive green eggs almost daily. All my production hens are laying their daily egg. Chicks are all looking healthy, and none of the new chicks who have been with the flock for 2 weeks have shown any signs of illness.

Also figured out recently that hydrated lyme and DE was accidently dusted through the chicken barn instead of our barn lyme and DE. We washed it thoroughly upon discovering, but we are curious as to whether that made an impact on their respiratory systems. It dang near killed my lungs for a minute. (long story on how that discovery was made)..

Back
Top Bottom