Flock with no rooster

I have a rooster that has gotten mean. I’m over it! I have 21 girls… all a year old. How does everyone’s flock do without a rooster? This is a big group of girls.
There is no reason not to have a rooster unless you want fertilized eggs, if you don't want to hatch then you'll be fine, all hen flocks are great!

There is no reason not to have a rooster unless you want fertilized eggs, if you don't want to hatch then you'll be fine, all hen flocks are great!
Even this large? The girls can get out of line. It would be interesting. To see who becomes the lead hen.
Your girls will do fine without a rooster.
Ok. I’m doing it. Which is sad… he’s beautiful!!

Each flock is different. The individuals have different personalities and the amount of room they have can be really different. We can get different results. But dad had a flock with one rooster and 25 to 30 hens that totally free ranged, no fences at all. Some of the hens stayed with the rooster but several would form their own cliques and go off to do their own thing. Practically all the eggs were still fertile but he really couldn't do much protection if they were usually not anywhere close around.

From what I've seen an all hen flock does fine. Mine haven't been as big as yours.. Usually one becomes the dominant hen and takes on some of the duties of a dominant rooster. The hens don't skip a beat, are plenty happy without a boy around.

But to be curious. What does he do that makes him a monster? How is he mean?

I’ve had chickens for ten years. Never had a bad rooster. He attacks me!! Visciuosly… knocked the tennis racket out of my hand! He’s a big rooster and I can’t get anything done in there now. They have a huge yard and run. Space is no problem.

Roosters will change as they get older. You need to train him like I did. I have two roosters.

Are you running in the run to do things? If you are start walking slowly. This is what I did. Yep, the roosters were coming after me unless I carried a big rod in the run. What changed for me is we picked up some chicks. Rooster was the chicks babysitter. It worked for me. I started talking to them more. One rooster is a bully here. He likes to run his dad around in the run that is where I come in and run him around.

Rooster keeps the hens in place and no pecking order. Rooster will also have his favorites.

Back
Top Bottom