Flooding

LittleMissCountry

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 30, 2018
We have had heavy rain for three days now. We have been under a flood warning since last night.

My coop/run has drained well until last night. It is on a slope, in a stand of trees, with a drainage pipe running under the stand of trees. However, we had so much rain last night that the run had standing water. It rained all night, too, so there are still puddles covering most of the run.
My silly chickens are choosing to stand in the puddles in the run, with rain soaking them because it is coming in sideways. The coop is still nice and dry (raised).
We are getting heavy rain for a few more days. Anything I can do to help keep water from collecting in the run? I threw a tarp over the coop and run, but the water is coming in from the bottom.

I see you’re from VA, I’m having the exact same problem. I know my ducks and geese are going to love this rain but I’m not sure about my chickens. We also have a broody hen that I want to move to a separate coop but I don’t want to do it in this rain:he. My best chance is at night and the rain will pick up again in the evening. I hope this rain stops at least for a little while. Stay safe!

I am in Southeast Louisiana, Hurricane season begins June 1st, our 2nd floor laundry room is about 8 x 12 and it is the default chicken coop in case of flood. We will cover washer and dryer with plastic and just go from there if necessary. Always good to have plans for weather for your birds.

I see you’re from VA, I’m having the exact same problem. I know my ducks and geese are going to love this rain but I’m not sure about my chickens. We also have a broody hen that I want to move to a separate coop but I don’t want to do it in this rain:he. My best chance is at night and the rain will pick up again in the evening. I hope this rain stops at least for a little while. Stay safe!
Yes, this rain is crazy! 3 inches overnight, according to our rain gauge. Luckily the run seems to be draining well again. The poor chickens are not getting out much this week.

I am in Southeast Louisiana, Hurricane season begins June 1st, our 2nd floor laundry room is about 8 x 12 and it is the default chicken coop in case of flood. We will cover washer and dryer with plastic and just go from there if necessary. Always good to have plans for weather for your birds.
My husband would not let me bring them into the house. I can picture his face now if I suggested that. :gig Worst case scenario, we bring them up to the back porch and keep them in a temporary structure.

My husband would not let me bring them into the house. I can picture his face now if I suggested that. :gig Worst case scenario, we bring them up to the back porch and keep them in a temporary structure.
DH knows he would be living in the chicken coop if he made me leave my hens out in a flooded hurricane. :lau:lau

Yes, this rain is crazy! 3 inches overnight, according to our rain gauge. Luckily the run seems to be draining well again. The poor chickens are not getting out much this week.

It’s good that it’s draining. My phone says it’s going to keep raining on and off until Tuesday. We have one spot in our yard that’s close to a swamp and there’s almost a foot of water standing there. Luckily our birds aren’t anywhere near it.

It’s good that it’s draining. My phone says it’s going to keep raining on and off until Tuesday. We have one spot in our yard that’s close to a swamp and there’s almost a foot of water standing there. Luckily our birds aren’t anywhere near it.
Good luck! I hope your yard doesn't flood. We don't have standing water in many places, since our whole property has a gradual slope down to a river at the end of the property line. Water drains really well, but these heavy downpours have made for some flash flooding!

Back
Top Bottom