Floor Material For Coop And Run

just a dozen

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
My coop is 12x8 my run is 12x20. The coop floor is concrete but I need to put something on it for warmth and to keep it dry.It has some sand down . Also want to put something in run to keep it from being to sloppy and help keep feet dry. I use pine shaving in my nest boxes. My 4 mt. olds scratch straw out of nest boxes and break the eggs. My 8 mth olds don't care whats in the boxes.

Quote:
The sand on the floor of the coop is fine, but pine shavings might perform as you wish better. A larger lip on the front of the nest box usually prevents their scratching the shavings out. It wasn't enough for mine so I switched to hay and that does work.

I don't have a run but here's an excellent article on you run problem: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-fix-a-muddy-run

We keep pine shavings, deep litter, in our coop and in-barn pen, but the run (chickenyard @ 20' x 20') is covered with 4"-6" inches of small gravel. The gravel is something they like to scratch in, plus it quickly drains when we have rain, sleet, snow. I periodically rake it to clean up poops, veggie scraps, but that is easy to do over the now packed-down gravel. I tried straw, but what a soupy, sloppy mess that was. I use straw bale wind baffles in their run around their raised coop, and that gives enough wet straw mess to deal with--though the hens love pecking and scratching at it. As a result, we always have some straw spread around. Pine bedding indoors, gravel out...works wonderfully. ~G

Back
Top Bottom