Floor Material for Small Coop and Run

dsbailey70

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
Nederland, Texas
I'm new to raising chickens, and only recently got my first three. My first coop/run is relatively small, roughly 9.5ft x 2.5ft (23.75sq ft?), not counting the roost and nesting boxes. Right now I've got it sitting on 4x4's and pavers, with a dirt floor. The heavy rain today has almost convinced me to pour a concrete floor for it (there's a flash flood warning out too). I've read most of the threads regarding concrete floors vs dirt, shavings, etc, but they're not very recent. What do y'all think, entire concrete (with 4-5" of shavings), or keep the dirt floor as is? Is 4-5" of shavings enough, or should I use dirt?

Sand....sand......sand!

Believe me, I've tried alot of different flooring materials. Sand is the very best for your chicken run, because it drains well, you can rake out the droppings and feathers and such, and they love to dust bathe in it. I really do believe my hens enjoy the sand.

Now, for inside the coop, I always use pine shavings.

I'm new to this as well so correct me if I'm wrong but I heard wood floor, then cheap laminate flooring, then shavings with a little bit of DE scattered

I may be new but DO NOT USE SAND!!!!!! sand harbors bacteria and diseases and parasites like non other sand is the worst thing you can possibly have for your beautiful chickens

I'm new to raising chickens, and only recently got my first three. My first coop/run is relatively small, roughly 9.5ft x 2.5ft (23.75sq ft?), not counting the roost and nesting boxes. Right now I've got it sitting on 4x4's and pavers, with a dirt floor. The heavy rain today has almost convinced me to pour a concrete floor for it (there's a flash flood warning out too). I've read most of the threads regarding concrete floors vs dirt, shavings, etc, but they're not very recent. What do y'all think, entire concrete (with 4-5" of shavings), or keep the dirt floor as is? Is 4-5" of shavings enough, or should I use dirt?

YOur coop is very cute, but I wouldn't put any more than those 3 you have now in it...you didn't say which breed(s) you have, but if you have heavy breeds like Black Australorp, Buff Orpington and the like, 3 would be your max...waaaay too tight of quarters in the coop for any more than that. As for myself I use wood pine shavings in my coop, and my run is the ground as where I live we don't have dirt...we have what we fondly call "kitty litter" .... can't grow a thing except chickens!!
barnie.gif
lau.gif
Best of luck in your venture!!!

I've heard more bad things about sand, and DE, so idk if I'm ready to try them yet. In the roost and the nesting boxes I use cleaned pine shavings. The two that are about 2mo are an Americana mix, and possibly a BR mix. They may also both be roos; I'll have to wait another month or so to know for sure. If they are, I'll exchange them. I got in on an order at one of the feed stores, and ordered two chicks that'll arrive Thursday. I've read that chickens need roughly 2 sq ft each to be comfortable; right now I have a total of about 23.75 sq ft. This is mostly just a place for them to sleep in at night, and get out if the weather; unlike today, where I've put them in the portable coop, and put it on my front porch. Thank you for the compliments and suggestions. This is the portable coop
I built; 3'x3'x6', 1" PVC, 2 old gates as the roof :)

Would sand be ok over concrete? This spot is really the only place I have to put the coop, until I possibly tear down the shop later. It's in my backyard, and the entire yard doesn't drain well. That's why I thought of a raised concrete foundation, probably still using the 4x4's...

Back
Top Bottom