Floor type advice for barn style coop

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
About to start work on building a new coop, but keep going back and forth on the idea of a cement pad for the floor. Originally considered it to make cleaning easier. The coop will be positioned next to the compost bins, and figured on weekly pulling out the crapped up hay, replacing with fresh, and then monthly or so pulling it all out and spraying the cement clean.

But having to purchase/rent all the tools needed for cement work, and learning as I go seems rife with possible screw ups. Also, the money saved from not doing cement can be put into the coop itself.

So....hoping I can get some feedback from others who have built and learned from a walk in barn style coop and what floor you have or would have if you did it over again. Thank you!

spraying the cement clean.
Unless you're going to also pour curbs or kneewalls, slope the floor to drain(s), and paint floor I would not recommend 'spraying' down any coop. Very difficult to get it really dry again and moisture is good for 'bad' organisms to grow.

How big of a coop are you proposing, do you have any drawings or sketches??

JR1968,

I'm new also to this, and am currently building a new coop. I plan, based on many posts here on BYC, to use a plywood floor sealed with Black Jack #57 roof sealant. Those that have used this say it lasts YEARS, even when being hosed out for cleaning.

My Coop will be a converted 8x10' metal tool shed. I'll coat the entire floor and also coat up about 6-8 inches up the walls.

Good luck on your project!

TWG

No sketches really, or none I’d worthy of posting. The idea I have in my head is an 8x8, sloped roof shed. Door on front with a 2x2 sliding window on each side. 2x4 framing.

My original plan had a second door on the back, with a concrete floor, allowing a quick hose down of the floor, with excess water to be broomed out the doors. But not wanting that water inside the coop is a valid issue.

Currently using a pallet built, natural dirt floor coop. It’s ugly, but has worked fine since we built it over a year ago when we bought this house. Land is level(ish), up a bank from a creek which provides them with drinking water.

My thoughts have run the gamut of coop ideas, going back and forth between self built, or buying a shed and tweaking it. Cost is a concern, which is why I’m mostly settled on building. But I need to figure out what I’ll do for the floor.

My spouse’s cousin used a cement slab floor that tilts towards a wall with ventilation holes at the bottom. They spray it out twice a year and the water drains out the vent holes. It’s worked for them for about three years now. However we live in an area with low humidity, so that may be a factor. They also use heaters and lights which dry out the coop even more.

My coop floor is particle board covered in glue-down vinyl flooring leftover from my house project. On top of that is tarp or old feed bags covered in pine shavings. My coop is only 4x6, so it’s easy to maintain. So far I change out bedding weekly and replace the tarp whenever it gets too dirty. I Have not needed to hose down anything as the vinyl floor is practically spotless. The walls however are another story...

Is this a liquid? Searching for it I’m only finding something that comes in rolls.

Yes, liquid like a thick paint. I really only need maybe 2 gallons. A gallon costs between $16-$20, but a 5-gallon bucket is only about $44, so I'll probably just get the 5-gallon bucket so I can coat the bottom of my wood posts on the Run part.

Also, should you bury any wood posts in the ground you can and should also coat the bottom of these posts with the #57 so that the wood will be completely sealed below ground level.

TWG

Yes, liquid like a thick paint. I really only need maybe 2 gallons. A gallon costs between $16-$20, but a 5-gallon bucket is only about $44, so I'll probably just get the 5-gallon bucket so I can coat the bottom of my wood posts on the Run part.

Also, should you bury any wood posts in the ground you can and should also coat the bottom of these posts with the #57 so that the wood will be completely sealed below ground level.

TWG

Very good tip, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom