Flooring for coop inside old barn

lilrider

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
Northern Indiana
I am building a coop inside our older barn on the top floor. The floor boards have spaces large enough that bedding or sand would fall through to the basement level where the stalls are. Stall mats are pricey so wondering if any other suggestion? Here's a pic

I do have more of the material rial that I used for the wall which is faux wood paneling.

11169955_10104929789354548_4656405123257047022_n.jpg

Last edited:
Linoleum would be ideal, a cheaper option would be to put down a tarp and put the bedding on that. Not as permanent, but if you do it right, you could drag the entire tarp out the door to clean the coop.

Thanks! I was thinking linoleum but hadn't thought of the restore store. I'm not sure of the exact dimensions but I would guess 12 by 8. Possibly bigger.

Linoleum is great! Tarp idea sounds good but very temporary, digging and scratching chickens would probably tear it to shreds in short order. Do put some poop boards under the roosts, maybe with a folded tarp underneath them to make for easy dragging... Poop boards are probably the best invention since sliced bread, you can just drag them out, clean them off and put them back in.

If you do linoleum, put down a primer first. I just put down some peel n stick linoleum down and it worked great. Got the advice from a friend. Lowes sells the stuff for $.38 a sqft. Pretty cheap and it works well.

Well I'm possibly picking up some free turkeys Tuesday so I might have to use the tarp idea for now as a quick fix. Wasn't able to get to the restore this weekend with my grandma being in hospice.

Back
Top Bottom