Floppy/dying chicken?

mamatoes

Songster
5 Years
Feb 29, 2016
Ontario
I went out to see why I couldn't find a bird and she was inside laying down wyes closed. I picked her up and her legs and wings were floppy. She opened her eyes. She had a greenish/yellow ooze on her bottom. Her vent actually looks good. Pink and moist. Smelt a bit vinegary. Her breast bone was really protruding. I left her for 2 hours and she seems worse. She was upside down and a bit twitchy. I'm like 98% sure she'll die. Just curious why. I separated her from the flock (unfortunately it's out in the cold, but I put her out of the wind and snow) but it's just kinda sucky. I feel awful

What do I do? Do I just have to put her out of her misery or does it sound like she'll die soon and I should just let nature take its course? Will my other hens be ok? What can I do for them?

Blah. This is the sad side to chicken keeping.

I went out to see why I couldn't find a bird and she was inside laying down wyes closed. I picked her up and her legs and wings were floppy. She opened her eyes. She had a greenish/yellow ooze on her bottom. Her vent actually looks good. Pink and moist. Smelt a bit vinegary. Her breast bone was really protruding. I left her for 2 hours and she seems worse. She was upside down and a bit twitchy. I'm like 98% sure she'll die. Just curious why. I separated her from the flock (unfortunately it's out in the cold, but I put her out of the wind and snow) but it's just kinda sucky. I feel awful

What do I do? Do I just have to put her out of her misery or does it sound like she'll die soon and I should just let nature take its course? Will my other hens be ok? What can I do for them?

Blah. This is the sad side to chicken keeping.

Bring her inside now to get warm. Give her some water with SaveAChick with a dropper. Offer some chopped egg to eat along with her usual food, but water is most important at first. How old is she? She may be seriously ill from wasting or she could have been kept from her food from being low in the pecking order. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? If possible, I would take her to a vet in the morning if she is still alive because she sounds very gravely ill.

Back
Top Bottom