Florida Sound-off

FeatherMomma

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2022
Has your county or city tried to have a chicken ordinance passed?
I am currently digging for information on counties/cities in Florida that do NOT have a county chicken ordinance.
Counties
Bradford
Broward
Calhoun
Collier
Columbia
Dixie
Flager
Glades
Hamilton
Hardee
Henry
Highlands
Holmes
Indian River
Jackson
Jefferson
Lafayette
Levy
Liberty
Martin
Miami-Dade
Monroe
Okeechobee
Palm Beach
Pasco
Saint Johns
Sumter
Union

If anyone lives in cities within these counties that do not allow chickens in residential. Are there currently any movements being made toward the board? Has it been tried previously?

THANK YOU!

Marion. They would NEVER be able to blanket ban chickens here in the horse capital of the world. Most of the county is A1 agricultural.
But there's not much of a downtown, really. I'm sure the HOA's of the non-horsey subdivisions prohibit chickens for the sensibilities of the snobbish.

Marion. They would NEVER be able to blanket ban chickens here in the horse capital of the world. Most of the county is A1 agricultural.
But there's not much of a downtown, really. I'm sure the HOA's of the non-horsey subdivisions prohibit chickens for the sensibilities of the snobbish.
I'm sick of HOA's. Busy bodies against anything they don't like. It wouldn't even effect them. On another note, some HOA's have allowed chickens.

at the risk of outing my Location, nobody lives in Holmes. The county ordinances are "thin" and generally permissive. If you happen to live in the city of Bonifay (as half the county does), there's a noise ordinance applicable to animals which could make poultry ownership problematic - particularly if you had a less than understanding neighbor - that ordinance is only 10 years old, I'm not aware of any push in the other direction.

Most people moving into the area choose NOT to reside in Bonifay.

at the risk of outing my Location, nobody lives in Holmes. The county ordinances are "thin" and generally permissive. If you happen to live in the city of Bonifay (as half the county does), there's a noise ordinance applicable to animals which could make poultry ownership problematic - particularly if you had a less than understanding neighbor - that ordinance is only 10 years old, I'm not aware of any push in the other direction.

Most people moving into the area choose NOT to reside in Bonifay.
Is Holmes a ghost town?
I'm not asking anyone to out themselves and get in trouble. Just information from those county/cities I'm asking about. A few are very small.
Unfortunately I'm all to aware of spies and underhanded BS.
Thank you for replying

Is Holmes a ghost town?
I'm not asking anyone to out themselves and get in trouble. Just information from those county/cities I'm asking about. A few are very small.
Thank you for replying
Esto
Noma
Ponce De Leon
Westville"
May I ask about these?

Is Holmes a ghost town?
Thank you for replying
Holmes is a county of less than 30,000 people. My college was larger.

But no, I value my privacy and generally diclose my location as Wiregrass region / FL Panhandle. My wife and I looked at property in Holmes county, we are familiar with the ordinances. Towns in the surrounding counties (i.e Crestview, Defuniak Springs, anything beachside (PCB, MCB, Santa Rosa, Pensacola, Ft Walton, etc) all much more restrictive.

But no, I value my privacy and generally diclose my location as Wiregrass region / FL Panhandle. My wife and I looked at property in Holmes county, we are familiar with the ordinances. Towns in the surrounding counties (i.e Crestview, Defuniak Springs, anything beachside (PCB, MCB, Santa Rosa, Pensacola, Ft Walton, etc) all much more restrictive.
Thank you. Much appreciated! 🥰
Information was all I was looking for. Figured I'd try here before I started 📞

Ponce has a gas station, a post office, a one room sheriff's office, and a school. I don't think its ordinances are on line, and its total population is likely less than 4,000. No restaurants anymore. But I've never seen a chicken on the roadway driving thru. Westville is smaller still - a post office, a gas station/country store, two (smaller) schools, and I think the local police officer parks his patrol car at his home, in full view of both streets (and the railroad) that define the town.

Esto and Noma are so small I've not even heard of them. Populations both under 500.

Ponce has a gas station, a post office, a one room sheriff's office, and a school. I don't think its ordinances are on line, and its total population is likely less than 4,000. No restaurants anymore. But I've never seen a chicken on the roadway driving thru. Westville is smaller still - a post office, a gas station/country store, two (smaller) schools, and I think the local police officer parks his patrol car at his home, in full view of both streets (and the railroad) that define the town.

Esto and Noma are so small I've not even heard of them. Populations both under 500.
Wow! Didn't know we had small town like that here. I love the throwback feel of a time that's has been forgotten by most. Well at least that's how I picture it anyway

Back
Top Bottom