What! I read that chickens don’t go after wasps; My flock must have read this as well, as they opted to be compliant and carefully avoids messing with wasps, hornets, and honey bees.
If it flies, it is in danger of being eaten by a chicken here. Several of mine have gone after, and caught wasps, yellowjackets, bumblebees and everything else. The only time they regret their decisions is when they reflexively catch a stink bug. They spit those out fast and start furiously wiping their beaks on anything. If chickens could gag, they would. Sadly the dumbest member of my family when it comes to things that sting is my golden Gracie. She likes spicy bugs. I have to keep Benadryl on hand for her. If she gets into a yellow jacket nest does she run, nope she fights back trying to eat the swarm. Same for wasps. I can no longer count the times she has had her face swell up from her spicy snacks.

Ohh, little chickie on far right has some color popping on those wings. Not a Buff Orp or White Leghorn I see. @rural mouse any breed guesses?
Wait on those guesses, because I bought three more chicks from the feed store. They are guaranteed EE and female. One looks like a Columbian Wyandotte (gold laced ) and I picked up the heating plate from TSC

So darn adorable 😊and I see they have their Hooman training underway.

Little velociraptors! I watched a 3 day old silkie chick pull a worm from the dirt and peck it into oblivion- and thought to myself thank goodness they aren’t 6’ tall!

And it appears to be a darker yellow. Hmmm I wonder where they were from - a hatchery? Or a local breeder 🥰
Breeder is in Fresno (Belt hatchery) all my chooks have come from there, but bought at different feed stores over the years.

War has been declared, over my mailbox. Evil angry red waspers have made it their home. I knew nothing about it until I checked the mail yesterday evening and one of the sorry buggers stung my wrist. This morning I dropped down the lid and ran, 3 flew out. A few minutes later I go peak and yup, they are starting to build a nest inside. Enjoy you last day you rats, tonight at dark I am coming out with wasp killer and demolishing your nest. Not sure which is worse, angry waspers or yellow jackets. Both give me a migraine when they sting.
Maybe they were just delivering the airmail? 🤦‍♂️ :oops::smack

War has been declared, over my mailbox. Evil angry red waspers have made it their home. I knew nothing about it until I checked the mail yesterday evening and one of the sorry buggers stung my wrist. This morning I dropped down the lid and ran, 3 flew out. A few minutes later I go peak and yup, they are starting to build a nest inside. Enjoy you last day you rats, tonight at dark I am coming out with wasp killer and demolishing your nest. Not sure which is worse, angry waspers or yellow jackets. Both give me a migraine when they sting.
Yep, we have a wasp in our house. My toddler gave me a fishtank net and said "catch it mommy!" Yeah no!!! I don't mess with them.

What! I read that chickens don’t go after wasps; My flock must have read this as well, as they opted to be compliant and carefully avoids messing with wasps, hornets, and honey bees.
I also have never seen them eat any stinging insect. They will gladly eat horse flies and mosquitoes, and there isn’t a spider within two feet of the barn floor 😳

Ohh, little chickie on far right has some color popping on those wings. Not a Buff Orp or White Leghorn I see. @rural mouse any breed guesses?
Mixed breeds are more likely, so EE is a possibility, but not the only one. Need more info/time to see more development. Not sure what color the legs are on the one in front either. Any way you look at it, though, they all landed in pampered care. Alex takes excellent care of his feathered companions

Thirsty Thursday.
Dominica.
1713467196879.jpeg

Mixed breeds are more likely, so EE is a possibility, but not the only one. Need more info/time to see more development. Not sure what color the legs are on the one in front either. Any way you look at it, though, they all landed in pampered care. Alex takes excellent care of his feathered companions
What if it ends up looking similar to Queen Auroura?

Back
Top Bottom