Hello all,

I just thought I'd check in, since it's been a long time. First of all, I appreciate the people who put the synopsis together. Sometimes I will go months without logging into BYC, and it's great that I can catch up. And sometimes I'll go on a BYC binge for a few days when I have the time. Either way, It's good to see how everyone is faring.

We currently are chickenless. Last fall, I allowed a fellow to talk me into letting him "help" me tear down and rebuild the deck off the back of our house. As some of you may remember, the area under our deck is our chicken run space, and it's worked out really well for us that way. For a number of reasons, and without going into details, the project turned out to be a much more of a nightmare than it needed to be, and dragged on for many weeks. The experience was so unsettling to the chicks that they began digging up large areas of our backyard grass. Long story short, it became very obvious that there would not be enough time for me to set up the chicken accomodations before the snow flew, so we had to rehome the girls.

Our current plan is to take a year off from chickens and get our yard in order, then see if we are ready to start again next year. Or course, seeing all the new chicks here is testing my resolve.

So since I can't properly pay tax with chicken photos, here is a photo of two of Ash's eggs that I scrambled up this morning for breakfast. These eggs have been in storage in a bucket on a shelf in my basement since Jan 2023, so fifteen months after they were laid. I could not tell any difference in the texture, taste, or smell from when they were freshly laid. It's really an amazing way to preserve fresh eggs.

View attachment 3805703

Also, some before and after pics of the deck:

View attachment 3805704

View attachment 3805705View attachment 3805707

I hope life smiles on all of you, and Alex, it's good to see you with a new batch of fluff!
Well hello! So wonderful to hear from you. That deck is wonderful - well worth some headaches I am sure.

I sure hope you do get more chooks in the future; drop in any time for your chicken fix 🥰

What a beautiful tribute, she was a solid and capable leader and full of personality. One of the things that drew me to this thread is your account not just of keeping chickens but of the chickens themselves and their uniqueness.

Until I started my own chicken adventure I had no idea they were such characters! This and all of your stories really do capture their quirks and personality characteristics.

In short you are a wonderful storyteller and thank you for sharing these memories.
:goodpost:Same!

She was wet by stomping thru the water dish. When I checked her the heater was cold to the touch and she was very cold and miserable. 😩 I’m taking the heater back today. If I have to wake up to reset it, it’s not working for me. View attachment 3805674
Alex, put some small rocks in the water dish so that they don’t get wet running through it.

Also put a small covered box in their home with a small opening in the front - maybe two small openings so they don’t have a traffic jam - make sure the box is not too big, just enough to fit them all, put a towel or old t-shirt in there for them to sleep on, it will be a warm nest for them to all cuddle in.

You might be able to get away without any heat lamps etc if you can keep them warm this way.

And I also checked this brooder heater you have - it’s radiant heat, so you won’t feel the surface hot, but if you keep your hand under the surface you will feel your hand warming up. Try that before you take it back as not working. There is a switch on the power cord so if there is an issue maybe it’s the switch. There should be a light on the switch when it gets turned on.

Ok hope the chickies are ok today.

The dog loves a carrot and enjoyed it in the garden but princess kept a close eye on his every mouthful. She managed to take a little off him

1000002078.jpg

1000002079.jpg

...and me :(
…and me! Vicarious is the right word, @Sally PB !
I think six total is a nice number, no new bigger coop needed, everyone gets a chance to eat pellets out of my hands in a reasonable time frame, and I can track everyone well. I only have five hens now. I could do two more I suppose, maybe a slight coop modification needed, invade a little of the nestbox is area. But I’m sitting tight. Temptation, get thee behind me! :jumpy :jumpy 🐥 🐥 🐥

A Remembrance Completed

So we come to the end of our weeklong remembrance of Lilly. I am so very thankful that we were led to rescue her from living under the porch. She was a real character and fixture at Fluffy Butt Acres for six and half years, our longest resident to date.

No celebration of Lilly would be complete without the story of how she once joined us for Thanksgiving dinner. You can find the story here. We remember her every thanksgiving and my hope is that one day my granddaughter Eve will be telling the story of Lilly to her grandchildren.

You can find the story here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...es-stories-of-our-flock.1286630/post-25142927

Recreating that Thanksgiving table moment.

20220215_163334.jpg

And now some more photos of our dearly missed friend.

_20210123_090330_.jpg
20201124_090837.jpg
20210707_084625.jpg
Lilly Thnaks.jpg
20160605_195204.jpg
20170110_154300.jpg
20170520_152113.jpg
20170602_202036.jpg
20170618_121912.jpg
20170826_170416.jpg
20180912_192852.jpg
20190111_193709.jpg
20190206_111552.jpg
20200421_211343.jpg
20210103_115601.jpg
20210123_085947.jpg

And the last photo I ever took of my friend.
20220413_083850.jpg

…and me! Vicarious is the right word, @Sally PB !
I think six total is a nice number, no new bigger coop needed, everyone gets a chance to eat pellets out of my hands in a reasonable time frame, and I can track everyone well. I only have five hens now. I could do two more I suppose, maybe a slight coop modification needed, invade a little of the nestbox is area. But I’m sitting tight. Temptation, get thee behind me! :jumpy :jumpy 🐥 🐥 🐥
Yes temptation seeing all the babies on here!

Back
Top Bottom