I never started a thread there. I was there when she hatched and she came out of the egg as she is. I was hoping it was swelling but honestly at this point, it really do suspect it is a birth defect. There is no apparent redness, no signs of infection at all. Just one unusually large eye. The chick can open and close it normally and appears to even see out of it. I treated for two weeks with Terramycin but it did nothing to help or hurt. Idk what else to do but wait and see how it looks as she grows and hope another chicken or chick doesn’t peck it.
Interesting. I don't think I've seen a picture with its big eye open. Yes, waiting to see what develops seems the only thing you can do, and any steps to protect the chick while young and getting integrated. That's what I'd do.

And we have a run! We'll work on apron/predator proofing it but the girls can play when we're home to watch them. Ash was the first through of course. :)
View attachment 3814300
View attachment 3814301
View attachment 3814302
View attachment 3814303View attachment 3814304
Is that chain link fencing covering it? That will be good against raccoons.

Have you given much thought to snow loads? I think that the chan link fencing plus a foot of the snow we both get will be too much for those frames. You may have to remove the top cover for the winter.

It’s one is the big concerns I have for covering my run which is 16’ wide. I will need rather large beams to support a cover for that span. At this point I am not sure what I will do, the expense of the beams is too great for me. I will likely end up just putting some cheap temporary netting up. And take it down in the Autumn.

Caturday - Big Boy is under the weather. I'm keeping a close watch, this is day five of respiratory symptoms - sneezing & coughing, a little clear eye discharge, definite nose discharge. Very unusual for him. He seemed slightly better yesterday evening, scratching quite vigorously on a board and briefly looking outside, and his voice seemed clearer, but if he isn't definitely improving by Monday I'll call the vet. No blood in his nasal discharge. Every time I try to check his lungs with a stethoscope (of the blood pressure cuff we have) he starts purring.
Here he is just after some sneezing
View attachment 3813740
And back to sleeping
View attachment 3813744
I hope he gets better QuickTime. :hugs :hugs

Works pretty well right?
Yes, in that I tested it out with an egg placed in the litter in the run. The egg in the can is a new sound, plus the contraption is new from yesterday. Hazel came over and observed very closely, head cocked and shifting weight from one foot to the other but not too afraid, and making little short sounds. I'm sure it all looked very odd!

The handle I have right now is not long enough to get back in that corner, even crouching next to the veranda and arm outstretched. It's about six feet to there. Also the veranda and coop is enclosed in Omlet's low-ceiling tractor run, so getting in there means a low crouching walk for three feet, not great.

Right now if I remove the poop tray only, I can get my arm through the tray slot and get the eggs from this near corner. I tried the egg cup through there and the bolt ends are just a bit too long and it doesn't fit. A shorter cup would though, or shorter little bolts. However, it will work well from above if they lay eggs in any other part under there, if I take the roost bars off and remove the poop tray. Haven't tested that yet.

Have you given much thought to snow loads? I think that the chan link fencing plus a foot of the snow we both get will be too much for those frames. You may have to remove the top cover for the winter.
IMG_6050.JPG

I have metal framework for my run. I have chicken wire up over the roof, covered with a TSC heavy duty tarp. The chicken wire supports the tarp across the 2 foot span. The tarp just went through its 3rd winter. Part of open up in the winter is to broom the snow off the roof.

Maybe try 1/4 benadryl if you can get him to take it, might help out. Our vet always recommended it for our kitties.
Good to know and ask our vet about if this becomes a chronic issue.
I wouldn’t try and give him anything - cats are unique in how they metabolize so unless you are sure something is safe for cats it is good to assume it isn’t!
According to a vet friend of mine, most cat respiratory illness is herpes virus that they carry with them for life and mostly remain without symptoms, but sometimes get a flare up.
I have thought that something latent surfaced, his immune system maybe dropped, so then the concern is why, could something else more serious be developing, etc. :idunno
I hope he gets better QuickTime. :hugs :hugs
Happy to report that he is improving! He has sneezed a few times today, but he is talking again and his voice sounds better. He can eat and drink without coughing now, it was putting him off. He got up a few times today and walked around the house, he asked to go outside to sit on the deck for five minutes three separate times, once when the chickens were there too, and he just got up again to spend the evening with DH watching TV. This is a great improvement from the last several days of almost continuous deep sleeping in his quiet nap bed.

View attachment 3814395
I have metal framework for my run. I have chicken wire up over the roof, covered with a TSC heavy duty tarp. The chicken wire supports the tarp across the 2 foot span. The tarp just went through its 3rd winter. Part of open up in the winter is to broom the snow off the roof.
Good to know, what’s the span on your run?

I have been trying to think of the most economical and safest way to put a cover on the run but it’s just so darn expensive. I purposely made it large so they would have lots of room too roam, but now it’s just a huge expense.

Good to know and ask our vet about if this becomes a chronic issue.

I have thought that something latent surfaced, his immune system maybe dropped, so then the concern is why, could something else more serious be developing, etc. :idunno

Happy to report that he is improving! He has sneezed a few times today, but he is talking again and his voice sounds better. He can eat and drink without coughing now, it was putting him off. He got up a few times today and walked around the house, he asked to go outside to sit on the deck for five minutes three separate times, once when the chickens were there too, and he just got up again to spend the evening with DH watching TV. This is a great improvement from the last several days of almost continuous deep sleeping in his quiet nap bed.
So glad he is feeling better, these pets of ours can really give us grey hair!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom