BIG NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT!! HUGE NEWS!!!!

At a roughly a year old, Poppet has something to show you all.
View attachment 3822693

Look what she made.
View attachment 3822696View attachment 3822697
I had to be careful taking pictures of it, the other side is not pretty. Like many first time pullet eggs the other side is bloody.
It is so little and perfect. Now I just need a broody hen in about 2 weeks.
View attachment 3822701
I am believe it or not currently broody hen less. Finally, finally I broke up the last hold out Goose. She gave up Thursday, she sat over 3 weeks stubborn girl.
Way to go Poppet!!!

I find that odd really. Here silkies lay white eggs. The eggs that Branch and his siblings hatched from where white as were the ones I had shipped here last year. Chiquita laid white eggs and now Poppet. I am breaking out the postal scare in a bit, that egg is small, but not tiny. If it is in the range I think it is, she could be up to hatching size for a silkie in about 2 weeks really. It was also a shock to find it. I had honestly given up and came to the conclusion she was just yard eye candy and never going to lay. I had made peace with that conclusion. Now, babies, there will be babies this year. Operation silkie bonanza can go into full swing in a couple weeks.
Awesome!

Never give up! Silkies are notorious for laying late.

The last time I watched the derby was when Eight Bells ran, won, died - I have never watched a race since.

I hate seeing horses running flat out, I had 2 horses die from running injuries, and then after Bells I really went over the edge. If my horses start running I bring them inside. Now they are old and don’t generally run much. But ya I don’t watch racing.

There was a time I would go to the races the first Wednesday of every month to see my friend’s horse run, standardbred racing - I have seen many bikes (racing carts) clip wheels and cause huge crashes - but never once had any horses killed (or people).

Standardbred racing (and thoroughbred racing too) is huge here and my Vet is on the Ontario Racing Commission. This is horse country where I live and there are HUGE farms here - in fact there is a huge Vet clinic not far from here that would likely rival Rood and Riddle. It’s miles of 4 board horse fences paddocks, tracks, barns, clinic, you name it, and and easy drive to Woodbine track (think Queens Plate).

But after my horses, and Bells, I lost my nerve for it. I wouldn’t even go out to the tree plantation across the road and do my flat out gallops down the sandy lanes. I couldn’t risk my horse injury. I never once worried about me you know, although I would be more at risk of injury than the horse. But when you lose your nerve it’s hard to get over it.

And now I am too old and don’t have the same desire for fast horses and big jumps. Now I like dawdling along and watching the butterflies and smelling the pine sap on a hot summer day in the county forest at a very steady walk 💕
The Eight Belles tragedy happened 16 years ago. She was actually 2nd in the race. I can tell you exactly where I was when that happened. I was in Lexington at St. Josephs East hospital on bed rest 2 days into what would be a 9 day ordeal of being in Labor. One of these days I will throw that guilt of 9 days in labor at her.

Not a pony
20240505_190927.jpg

Moving towards the right of the frame
20240505_190956.jpg
The neighbor's dog that Blurr hung out with and the cranes
20240505_191001.jpg
Meeting?

20240505_191006.jpg
Nope! They hopped the fence and he came back.

The Eight Belles tragedy happened 16 years ago. She was actually 2nd in the race. I can tell you exactly where I was when that happened. I was in Lexington at St. Josephs East hospital on bed rest 2 days into what would be a 9 day ordeal of being in Labor. One of these days I will throw that guilt of 9 days in labor at her.
Oh I thought she had won. Poor filly 😢😢😢 so tragic, I hear the jockey was frantic 😢

And poor you! You ran your own race then 💕

BIG NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT!! HUGE NEWS!!!!

At a roughly a year old, Poppet has something to show you all.
View attachment 3822693

Look what she made.
View attachment 3822696View attachment 3822697
I had to be careful taking pictures of it, the other side is not pretty. Like many first time pullet eggs the other side is bloody.
It is so little and perfect. Now I just need a broody hen in about 2 weeks.
View attachment 3822701
I am believe it or not currently broody hen less. Finally, finally I broke up the last hold out Goose. She gave up Thursday, she sat over 3 weeks stubborn girl.
Congratulations Poppet!

Back
Top Bottom