Fly strike bad!

SilkieFamily

Chirping
Aug 22, 2022
My 3 year old barred rock hen "Carlos" (from "Hop") has serious fly strike below the butt. When I first saw it her butt, it was alive! Then I realized why she was so slow and not jumping up to her roost. Several hundred maggots eating her during egg production. I've given at least 6 rinse baths, removing hundreds of maggots, removing anything she was ok with...Initial cleaning 2 doses peroxide spray, after that using Vetericyn she's in good spirits in the brooder with everything she could need, even my daughters favorite hoodie to ruin. Sleeps mostly and attempts to clean herself. Only day 1 of rehab after noticing but I fear it's too late. She's responding well to cleaning but I'm guessing painshock is making her Lightfoot since she is 9lbs+ the affected area below the butt is swoll to 1/2 a tennis ball size. I have 92% of maggots off but what I can't get are pissing me off! I have a vet visit scheduled tomorrow so I'm asking if she lives thru the night with my help will the vet just shut her down or treat?

So sorry to hear that. I hope Carlos makes it.
I had one hen (Isa Brown ) that had gotten infested with fly maggots earlier this year. Had no idea, happened so suddenly, I was shocked. One day she was fine, the next she was going down fast. We did the same, bathed and bathed, pulled probably hundreds out. Put Fly Swat on her and ointment. After a day or two it just got worse and we decided to cull her mercifully to put her out of her misery. It broke my heart for days and days. I didn't want her to suffer like that in her last days.

She was 3 years old and many of her 3 year old flock mates (production hybrids) had already passed from various issues. High egg producers often don't make it past 3 yrs.

Once it is at the point of an infestation, I'm not sure there's much you can do. I'm definitely not an expert. I hope you find a better solution or treatment than we did. I read articles from The Chicken Chick on the topic that were sent to me. And I did everything suggested.

I hope the best for your Carlos, and at least she knows you cared very much for her and gave her the best care you possibly could. You did all you could. If you have to let her go, know that. Peace.

My 3 year old barred rock hen "Carlos" (from "Hop") has serious fly strike below the butt. When I first saw it her butt, it was alive! Then I realized why she was so slow and not jumping up to her roost. Several hundred maggots eating her during egg production. I've given at least 6 rinse baths, removing hundreds of maggots, removing anything she was ok with...Initial cleaning 2 doses peroxide spray, after that using Vetericyn she's in good spirits in the brooder with everything she could need, even my daughters favorite hoodie to ruin. Sleeps mostly and attempts to clean herself. Only day 1 of rehab after noticing but I fear it's too late. She's responding well to cleaning but I'm guessing painshock is making her Lightfoot since she is 9lbs+ the affected area below the butt is swoll to 1/2 a tennis ball size. I have 92% of maggots off but what I can't get are pissing me off! I have a vet visit scheduled tomorrow so I'm asking if she lives thru the night with my help will the vet just shut her down or treat?

Can you post any pictures of her fly strike? The soaks are the best way to get the maggots off, and they can keep hatching for 24 hours or so. Keep at the Vetericyn, and get her drinking some fluids or electrolytes. Hopefully, she will make it, but it depends on how much damage the maggots have done. Check other chickens for poopy vents and consider treating the flies. Picking up droppings, placing clean bedding, and sometimes using permethrin spray in the coop can control them. It lasts 30 days, but don’t use around any bee hives if you raise them.

So sorry to hear that. I hope Carlos makes it.
I had one hen (Isa Brown ) that had gotten infested with fly maggots earlier this year. Had no idea, happened so suddenly, I was shocked. One day she was fine, the next she was going down fast. We did the same, bathed and bathed, pulled probably hundreds out. Put Fly Swat on her and ointment. After a day or two it just got worse and we decided to cull her mercifully to put her out of her misery. It broke my heart for days and days. I didn't want her to suffer like that in her last days.

She was 3 years old and many of her 3 year old flock mates (production hybrids) had already passed from various issues. High egg producers often don't make it past 3 yrs.

Once it is at the point of an infestation, I'm not sure there's much you can do. I'm definitely not an expert. I hope you find a better solution or treatment than we did. I read articles from The Chicken Chick on the topic that were sent to me. And I did everything suggested.

I hope the best for your Carlos, and at least she knows you cared very much for her and gave her the best care you possibly could. You did all you could. If you have to let her go, know that. Peace.
I've done everything but protect from the flies. Being a new home framing carpenter I thought I had it covered. More tears for me.

I have 92% of maggots off but what I can't get are pissing me off! I have a vet visit scheduled tomorrow so I'm asking if she lives thru the night with my help will the vet just shut her down or treat?
Your vet will examine her to see if the maggots have invaded her abdominal cavity. If so, then there is sadly nothing that can be done to save her. If not, then she has a chance to survive, but its essential that all the maggots are removed, including from eggs that will continue to hatch. Flystrike is horrendous and I'm sorry you are dealing with it.

Can you post any pictures of her fly strike? The soaks are the best way to get the maggots off, and they can keep hatching for 24 hours or so. Keep at the Vetericyn, and get her drinking some fluids or electrolytes. Hopefully, she will make it, but it depends on how much damage the maggots have done. Check other chickens for poopy vents and consider treating the flies. Picking up droppings, placing clean bedding, and sometimes using permethrin spray in the coop can control them. It lasts 30 days, but don’t use around any bee hives if you raise them.
Full yard rinse and till done this evening. I do this 2 times a week. Coop's emptied and refreshed every week. Box straw replaced every 2 weeks. Carlos is my biggest hen and probably why she was targeted while I was gone camping for 3 days only. None the less she was my 1st chick and I will fight for her.
Yesterday the doctor confirmed that she was sceptic and that pain "shock"was keeping her alive. So to be clear the doctor said and I quote " the flys are not the cause, but a symptom. So "Flystrike" is the calling for euthanasia. Most "Heavy weight" birds are the casualties of this symptom not just because of weight but because of overlaying and the last process backing up therfore dead flesh begins and invites the flies to lay and finish the job. So it's Not the Flies. It's their age and diet. Less egg production equals longer life. I'm more than ok with that because watching my girl close her eyes for the last time made me angry with myself and rethinking my entire situation. I don't care what your pet or animal is it hurts when they go.
20230824_204421.jpg

Back
Top Bottom