Fly Strike

Debra77

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2019
I was devastated to find Marybeth my silver laced Wyandotte with fly strike Wednesday morning. I started bathing her to remove the maggots. I did this about 7 times that day and continuing 3xs a day through Friday. Saturday I bathed her twice and once Sunday since I was no longer seeing any maggots. She had 2-3 holes where they had eaten. I was using a veterinarian betadine & Dawn dish soap to bath her and spraying with Vetericyn Poultry Care. She was eating some berries in the beginning but know she wont eat anything. I've been giving her water through a syringe with probiotics and electrolytes. We are at day 5 and she will not stand and is very weak. I'm having to roll a towel up putting it under her chest to keep her head up. I just knew when I returned home late Friday she would be gone but she's still hanging on. I thought I saved her but I'm thinking I've only prolonged the inevitable. Maybe it was just to much damage to the tissue and or muscles to overcome. I'm wondering since she's not eating or drinking on her own is she will be able to pull out of this.
I live in NC and the summers can be hot! I have fans in the coop and take frozen water with fruit in the afternoons trying to keep them comfortable. I work hard spending a huge amount to time and money on my girls. I feel I keep their run and coop clean. This has been horrible!! Unfortunately i had a fly strike for the first time last year and we had to put my sweet Bella down. I wish I could prevent this from ever happening again!
Sincerely,
Debra77

I'm so sorry!
It's horrible, and takes a very short time to be a disaster. Often it happens to an individual who has something wrong, and then the flies move in.
Mary
I'm wondering if there's any hope or if I need to have my husband put her down this evening. Have you dealt with this before?

can you try to get her to eat some raw egg yolk?
She won't eat anything now. She did eat a few berries and a couple of grubs this first day or two. I just offered he egg yolk and she hardly looked at it. I've been giving her water through a syringe with electrolytes and probiotics. She just lays there and doesn't try to get up. I'm wondering if she will gain enough strength to get past this.

I'm sorry your going through this! A lot of my ladies have very fluffy butts and some are just lazy poopers, so I do booty trims and clean their rears when needed. As far as her not eating, I can't remember who and I can't find it, but it's called bullet feeding I think. Basically, take her food and mix with some water or even egg yolk and form it into a pill shape (make sure it's firm) then pop it in her beak.

I'm sorry your going through this! A lot of my ladies have very fluffy butts and some are just lazy poopers, so I do booty trims and clean their rears when needed. As far as her not eating, I can't remember who and I can't find it, but it's called bullet feeding I think. Basically, take her food and mix with some water or even egg yolk and form it into a pill shape (make sure it's firm) then pop it in her beak.
Thanks for the egg/protein suggestion. I probably should have been doing that sooner. I tried giving her egg yolk since your suggestion unfortunately she was gone when I went out this morning. Trimming the feathers is not a bad idea either. I think fly strike is not easy to overcome.

Thanks for the egg/protein suggestion. I probably should have been doing that sooner. I tried giving her egg yolk since your suggestion unfortunately she was gone when I went out this morning. Trimming the feathers is not a bad idea either. I think fly strike is not easy to overcome.
I'm sorry to hear that! ❤️ I start trimming in early spring (some for breeding purposes and some for my lazy ol lady pooper, lol) I give them a good wash of the rear end (usually with just warm-ish water) then a high and tight trim (about 2 inches of feather left) that lasts through the summer until they molt. At least you're prepared if it ever happens again 🤞 it doesn't!

Did your hen make it or is she succumb to her ailment?

Back
Top Bottom