Flystrike? Help!!!

Oct 15, 2023
So, this is about my June again y'all, and if you haven't read about her she is my three year old, blind, golden comet. So a little background first she hasn't been eating a lot recently, she hasn't laid an egg in months, her diet is purina layer crumble, and because she hasn't been eating a lot we have been giving her some yogurt the last couple days. So yesterday I saw her bum was getting a little gross and I decided to give her a bath but then I got busy and forgot about it until this afternoon I went to check on her, and after picking her up I noticed that her bum was really dirty and a little bloody so I inspected further and... right over her vent was TEEMING with maggots (I totally freaked out)! We just finished giving her a bath and all the maggots' are gone except one that looked like it crawled into her bum (if it actually did is that bad??) and this is what it looks like now. Also can the maggot survive inside of her?? I'm assuming that the gray stuff is roughting skin?? After we soaped all the feathers around it I dosed it in hyderian peroxide and sprayed it with vetericyn. What is the cause of this and how do I help it heal??

Attachments

• IMG_3485.jpg
    IMG_3485.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3480.jpg
    IMG_3480.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 27
From what I’ve read, flystrike often begins w an injured or ill bird.
This does not look as bad as many other photos that I’ve seen around here, soooo 🤞 that you can get her through this!

— is she eating and drinking?
— how is her poo?
— do you have access to an avain vet?
— do you notice any smell that makes you think the tissues might already be infected?
— what country are you in? ....so we can try to help you figure out antibiotic possibilities if you need them and a vet is not an option.

My understanding (based on success stories) is that peroxide is very harsh on the damaged tissues, and the fact that you started w it is ok- but I’d not suggest continuing to use it.

- Getting the maggots of is necessary step 1.
- Continuing to check a couple of times a day for any newly hatched eggs is very important- eggs can continue to hatch for up to 10 days, depending on the species of fly, and temperatures where you are.
- Separate her, so no one can pick on the wound and exacerbate the problem.

Vetricyn can be useful, but is also pretty drying, and you want to (yes keep the flies away but) keep the tissue protected from any fecal contamination....
Most people switch to Epsom salt baths 2x daily if the affected bird isn’t stressed by the process.

Covering the affected area with neosporin (without the pain meds), or a generic triple antibiotic ointment will help keep any diarrhea from sticking to or contaminating the wound. This should be repeated after every soak/ cleaning, and at least 2x daily.

I also found this quote from another thread, with some other options:

@coach723
“You can also use chlorhexidine (Hibiclens, widely available in pharmacies, even walmart). And them reapply the ointment each time. If none of them have reached the abdominal cavity, she has a chance to recover. There are screw worm or screw fly sprays that are intended for use on wounds like this that some people use, to help kill them. Those would be at feed stores. If you are vigilant, then the numbers you find should start reducing with each time.”

Please keep us posted on her progress, and best of luck to you both :hugs

Flystrike is nasty business. It's caused by flies laying eggs in either wounds or excessive feces that has accumulated around the vent area. The larvae hatch and then begin literally eating the bird alive. The key is to catch it early and judging by your photos, it seems you did.

Give the bird a warm bath and get as many maggots out as possible. Then treat as you would any wound. Vetericyn is good. I've also used BlueKote with success. In addition, I always administer two to three drops of Ivermectin pour-on around (NOT in) the wound. This should kill off any other maggots left over that are embedded deeper within the wound. Keep the bird as clean as possible and away from areas with high concentrations of flies. I would trim her feathers around the wound and around her vent so feces doesn't build up as much as well. Some vitamins and electrolytes in her water wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The article HeritageFan linked to should be very helpful. Here's a link to one here on BYC as well.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/what-to-do-when-your-flock-is-struck-by-flystrike.78243/

Could this have been a prolapsed vent or cloaca, or is the area not at the vent opening? If she has a prolapse, that needs to be kept moist with ointment. Repeat the soak to her vent at least once to make sure that no new maggots have emerged. They can hatch out for a day or so. The soak once a day should keep her clean and help the tissue heal.

Could this have been a prolapsed vent or cloaca, or is the area not at the vent opening? If she has a prolapse, that needs to be kept moist with ointment. Repeat the soak to her vent at least once to make sure that no new maggots have emerged. They can hatch out for a day or so. The soak once a day should keep her clean and help the tissue heal.
That’s what I thought originally but it’s actually on the top of her vent. It’s kind of hard to tell from the pictures though

From what I’ve read, flystrike often begins w an injured or ill bird.
This does not look as bad as many other photos that I’ve seen around here, soooo 🤞 that you can get her through this!

— is she eating and drinking?
— how is her poo?
— do you have access to an avain vet?
— do you notice any smell that makes you think the tissues might already be infected?
— what country are you in? ....so we can try to help you figure out antibiotic possibilities if you need them and a vet is not an option.

My understanding (based on success stories) is that peroxide is very harsh on the damaged tissues, and the fact that you started w it is ok- but I’d not suggest continuing to use it.

- Getting the maggots of is necessary step 1.
- Continuing to check a couple of times a day for any newly hatched eggs is very important- eggs can continue to hatch for up to 10 days, depending on the species of fly, and temperatures where you are.
- Separate her, so no one can pick on the wound and exacerbate the problem.

Vetricyn can be useful, but is also pretty drying, and you want to (yes keep the flies away but) keep the tissue protected from any fecal contamination....
Most people switch to Epsom salt baths 2x daily if the affected bird isn’t stressed by the process.

Covering the affected area with neosporin (without the pain meds), or a generic triple antibiotic ointment will help keep any diarrhea from sticking to or contaminating the wound. This should be repeated after every soak/ cleaning, and at least 2x daily.

I also found this quote from another thread, with some other options:

@coach723
“You can also use chlorhexidine (Hibiclens, widely available in pharmacies, even walmart). And them reapply the ointment each time. If none of them have reached the abdominal cavity, she has a chance to recover. There are screw worm or screw fly sprays that are intended for use on wounds like this that some people use, to help kill them. Those would be at feed stores. If you are vigilant, then the numbers you find should start reducing with each time.”

Please keep us posted on her progress, and best of luck to you both :hugs
Thanks for the advice! This is one of my older girls who’s gone through a lot, she has water belly and most likely cancer so I’m just trying to keep her comfortable before she passes. But I’ll keep y’all posted on her progress, thanks again!

Having an enlarged lower belly under the vent can “catch“ droppings, making it hard to keep the vent clean. I would continue the warm soaks once a day to help it heal. Apply some plain antibiotic ointment to the area twice a day after drying her.

Back
Top Bottom