Flystrike question - warning graphic picture

I'm so sorry that she has not improved. Rather than repeat what has already been said, I'm going to give you this link, for now or future reference. This is how I do it, very quick, very humane, but it's not totally hands off. It's pretty fool proof as long as your loppers are sharp (mine are dedicated to this purpose only). You (or whomever you have do it) can walk away after if necessary, come back later. I've tried several methods, this one works best for me. Unless there is a vet who is willing and affordable, we all have to have some comfortable way to do this at some point. :hugs It is never easy.
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html

I am not very comfortable killing a chicken, but sometimes I have had to do it to help ease suffering. I have attempted cervical dislocation with the broomstick method, and it took numerous attempts since I was not experienced in doing it. I usually use a very sharp knife, such as a filet knife, and cut the jugular vein while the chicken is calmly hanging upside down. Some use killing cones, but I hang them from a tree with the legs tied. It is never easy to end a life, but I decided I had to learn to do it. This video show the one method I prefer:

Thanks everyone.
In the city's "urban agriculture" policy (that does allow goats and sheep, besides poultry!) the do not allow for "butchering". Though not technically butchering I just hope no one sees this happening (if I do it) and calls it in!

Have you called to find out the fees or looked at the fee schedule for the Kansas state lab? I only found one listing under euthanasia and it was $16.50 but could be looking at that wrong.
I'm really sorry that you are facing this, I know it's difficult especially when you have been caring for her so long.
http://www.ksvdl.org/

upload_2019-5-27_11-53-40.png

No you're right about the fee. But for backyard chickens they require that you also see the vet first in the exotic pet section of the vet clinic. That runs $70.

In other words, you can't just take you chicken there and say you want it euthanized. The vet has to agree.

I just think it's strange that in an agricultural state at an agricultural university they view chickens as "exotic pets".

She must be kept somewhere where there are NO FLIES until the wounds are completely healed. Fly strike usually happens only on tissue that is damaged from moisture, so it might be that she has an initial problem like gleet that encouraged the flied to lay eggs on her.
DO NOT USE CHLORHEXEDINE (HIBICLENS) ON MUCOUS MEMBRANES OR ON NON-INTACT SKIN! It is absorbed into the bloodstream if used on mucous membranes or non-intact skin. Use betadine / iodophor. Or mild soap and water. This message brought to you by a very experienced Operating Room nurse.....

Back
Top Bottom