Flystrike question - warning graphic picture

Happy to post with some good news since I usually just post with problems!
Our hen RIR Blinky, afflicted with flystrike and under care since the beginning of May has actually recovered! 10 days ago there was just a small open wound area and what turned out to be old skin around it. I trimmed that off and gave her a couple more soaks. A couple of days ago it was ALL HEALED. She has also gained weight with her breast beginning to fill in. AMAZING THE HEALING CAPACITY OF CHICKENS!
Today I put isolated her in an end of the run and if all goes well in a couple of days I'll put her in the coop after her lone coop-mate Pinky has gone na-na. Blinky was dominant so I'm hoping Pinky will be happy to have her leader back.
I tried to post pictures, but keep getting error messages and logged out.

Happy to post with some good news since I usually just post with problems!
Our hen RIR Blinky, afflicted with flystrike and under care since the beginning of May has actually recovered! 10 days ago there was just a small open wound area and what turned out to be old skin around it. I trimmed that off and gave her a couple more soaks. A couple of days ago it was ALL HEALED. She has also gained weight with her breast beginning to fill in. AMAZING THE HEALING CAPACITY OF CHICKENS!
Today I put isolated her in an end of the run and if all goes well in a couple of days I'll put her in the coop after her lone coop-mate Pinky has gone na-na. Blinky was dominant so I'm hoping Pinky will be happy to have her leader back.
I tried to post pictures, but keep getting error messages and logged out.
:woot Go Blinky! Look forward to photos too:)

This is good news! You have done a great job taking care of her, I'm so glad to hear she is healed and it's time for her to be back outside!

Alas, final update on the flystrike victim. As I had posted, Blinky's wound was completely healed and she seemed like her old persnickety self so I put her back in the coop with no problem. On the 4th of July I found her dead on the floor of the coop. We put her in a plastic bag on ice in a cooler and the next day had her necropsied at the State's Veterinary school (worth it to learn and know). Her abdomen was filled with fluid, her liver had hemorraged and some other things. The root cause of everything was found which was an oviduct adenocarcinoma that had metastasized. Apparently common in older hens. RIP Blinky.

Alas, final update on the flystrike victim. As I had posted, Blinky's wound was completely healed and she seemed like her old persnickety self so I put her back in the coop with no problem. On the 4th of July I found her dead on the floor of the coop. We put her in a plastic bag on ice in a cooler and the next day had her necropsied at the State's Veterinary school (worth it to learn and know). Her abdomen was filled with fluid, her liver had hemorraged and some other things. The root cause of everything was found which was an oviduct adenocarcinoma that had metastasized. Apparently common in older hens. RIP Blinky.
I'm sorry to hear about Blinky:hugs

Even though it's sad, I'm glad you were able to find out more. Thank you for the update.

Soak her in some epsom salt water then, pat her dry and apply vetericyne spray to her. Her as clean and dry as possible. It’s awful having to deal with but some do survive. Mine did. I soaked mine everyday for about a week, twice in the beginning.

Aw, bummer. so sorry. Good job getting the necropsy done.

Back
Top Bottom