Foam 'bator running TOO DRY?

BlazeJester

Songster
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Midway, GA
Hi. This is my first try at incubating. I am using the renowned and beloved (
roll.png
) LG 9200 still-air with an egg turner and using the dry incubation method. Here's the deal.

The incubator is sitting on the top rack of a 2-shelf mesh shoe rack, about 12" above the surface of the dresser. Plenty of opportunity for air flow. There are no plugs in any ventilation holes.

When I stabilized the incubator before setting eggs, the humidity was low. Super low. 16% low. I am using an Accurite thermom/hygrom. I only had one at the time and have since purchased a second to double-check accuracy. They read exactly the same for both humidity and temperature. The room itself is a bedroom with little traffic and is constant temp at 68-70 with humidity levels of 30-36% over the past 24hr (and the past week, I've been keeping an eye).

Because of scheduling the hatch date I had to set on Feb 21 before I got the humidity issue worked out. The temperature was and is reading steady at 102*F at the level of the top of the eggs (100 in some places). I placed a pan of water on the shelf underneath the incubator (5" clearance) to catch drips and hopefully evaporate into the incubator to get the humidity up, but that hasn't happened yet.

I set 28 of my uncle's eggs (30 hens under 2 roos, untested fertility but all eggs I've cracked have been fertile). Today was candling day, Day 7. I found blood vessels in 8 eggs and cannot see into 4 others. The rest all look about the same, with a dark mass toward the top (big end) of the egg and a very dark ring about halfway around. I can't tell if this is just a different stage of development or if they have gone bad.

I sacrificed three eggs that were questionably dirty. Two had burst yolks, one was intact. One of the burst yolks appeared to have blood in it, but not a blood "ring". The other did not. The intact yolk did not appear to have been fertile.

My questions:

What is this dark mass and dark ring a sign of? Too hot? Too dry?

It is possible for humidity to be too low. Should I be refilling the wells before it hits 25% to prevent further excess moisture loss?

What should I be looking for at the next candling (3 days out) to confirm that the eggs are "dead"? If uncertain, should I leave them or pull them? I don't want to damage the few I'm sure about.

Is it possible this is a temperature issue? Is 102*F possibly too hot in my incubator? Try as I did, I was unable to land a mercury thermometer to calibrate the electronic ones. The Accurite units do not tolerate boiling or freezing temps so manual calibration was not an option.

I appreciate any feedback you've got time to share. I know this is a busy thread and this is probably a common question with this incubator, but I couldn't seem to find the right answer.

Last edited:
Hi. This is my first try at incubating. I am using the renowned and beloved (
roll.png
) LG 9200 still-air with an egg turner and using the dry incubation method. Here's the deal.

The incubator is sitting on the top rack of a 2-shelf mesh shoe rack, about 12" above the surface of the dresser. Plenty of opportunity for air flow. There are no plugs in any ventilation holes.

When I stabilized the incubator before setting eggs, the humidity was low. Super low. 16% low. I am using an Accurite thermom/hygrom. I only had one at the time and have since purchased a second to double-check accuracy. They read exactly the same for both humidity and temperature. The room itself is a bedroom with little traffic and is constant temp at 68-70 with humidity levels of 30-36% over the past 24hr (and the past week, I've been keeping an eye).

Because of scheduling the hatch date I had to set on Feb 21 before I got the humidity issue worked out. The temperature was and is reading steady at 102*F at the level of the top of the eggs (100 in some places). I placed a pan of water on the shelf underneath the incubator (5" clearance) to catch drips and hopefully evaporate into the incubator to get the humidity up, but that hasn't happened yet.

I set 28 of my uncle's eggs (30 hens under 2 roos, untested fertility but all eggs I've cracked have been fertile). Today was candling day, Day 7. I found blood vessels in 8 eggs and cannot see into 4 others. The rest all look about the same, with a dark mass toward the top (big end) of the egg and a very dark ring about halfway around. I can't tell if this is just a different stage of development or if they have gone bad.

I sacrificed three eggs that were questionably dirty. Two had burst yolks, one was intact. One of the burst yolks appeared to have blood in it, but not a blood "ring". The other did not. The intact yolk did not appear to have been fertile.

My questions:

What is this dark mass and dark ring a sign of? Too hot? Too dry?

It is possible for humidity to be too low. Should I be refilling the wells before it hits 25% to prevent further excess moisture loss?

What should I be looking for at the next candling (3 days out) to confirm that the eggs are "dead"? If uncertain, should I leave them or pull them? I don't want to damage the few I'm sure about.

Is it possible this is a temperature issue? Is 102*F possibly too hot in my incubator? Try as I did, I was unable to land a mercury thermometer to calibrate the electronic ones. The Accurite units do not tolerate boiling or freezing temps so manual calibration was not an option.

I appreciate any feedback you've got time to share. I know this is a busy thread and this is probably a common question with this incubator, but I couldn't seem to find the right answer.

sounds like a blood ring - bacterial issues with egg

my humidity is 19% ON DAY 18 - LOCKDOWN AND INCREASE TO 80% TONIGHT

read this https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

good luck

So humidity at 16% is not a problem? Or yes?

I will sacrifice more eggs on Sunday at day 10 - I believe most are that ruptured yolk. However? I'm not at all clear on why this would happen with eggs that I picked up and transported myself less than 100 'mi? Are there super special requirements? I had the the car warm (70+) and drove them straight to the incubator afterward.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Eggs were not washed before incubating. All "dirty" eggs were discarded as soon as confirmed

Last edited:
So humidity at 16% is not a problem? Or yes?

I will sacrifice more eggs on Sunday at day 10 - I believe most are that ruptured yolk. However? I'm not at all clear on why this would happen with eggs that I picked up and transported myself less than 100 'mi? Are there super special requirements? I had the the car warm (70+) and drove them straight to the incubator afterward.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Eggs were not washed before incubating. All "dirty" eggs were discarded as soon as confirmed
when it gets that low I will put a pill bottle or two with water in it (others use mini glad containers on their side, with a slit in the lid). they fit nicely next to my turner. it bums it up to mid 20s or 3 days

Back
Top Bottom