Foamy eye and swallen

Enilcita28

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
I need help. What can I do for this guy?

Attachments

• IMG_20220602_123114746.jpg
    IMG_20220602_123114746.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 7
Are there any symptoms of sneezing, labored breathing, or nasal drainage? Have you added new birds recently or had another chicken with similar symptoms? A swollen eye with foam can be a symptom of a chronic respiratory disease called mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) I would clean the eye with saline and apply Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Tylan injectable given orally or the generic tylosin in the water can treat MG. Look for any signs of a peck mark or something in the eye which could cause similar issues. Here is a good article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Are there any symptoms of sneezing, labored breathing, or nasal drainage? Have you added new birds recently or had another chicken with similar symptoms? A swollen eye with foam can be a symptom of a chronic respiratory disease called mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) I would clean the eye with saline and apply Terramycin or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day. Tylan injectable given orally or the generic tylosin in the water can treat MG. Look for any signs of a peck mark or something in the eye which could cause similar issues. Here is a good article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
x2. Droopy eye + bubbles, most likely MG.

Thanks. When he was little I separated him then he got better (didn't treat). But once he started getting older it got worse. I just found another that wasn't with him also has a foamy eye, ugh! I don't want this to spread. I separated those two from the others.

https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/publications/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
Can I get the Tylan or the tylosin without Rx?

First thing to do if you see this is to deworm the chicken if you haven't. Worms very often can lower the immune system just enough for these small symptoms to appear and if left untreated, the worms will continue to degrade the chickens health until it is too late.

If you are up to date on deworming then you can assume there is something else happening. You also will want to make sure your watering stations are kept clean by scrubbing them with water and an abrasive brush, or even disinfecting with disinfectants.

Ive cut back on antibiotics significantly by doing these things. Often the symptoms disappear in one day after deworming, and sometimes they just appear due to cold or damp weather conditions at night.

There are other times when a chicken does have this condition chronically too, but they live a normal life.

Back
Top Bottom