Foamy eye? HELP PLS!

Kyn Garcia

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Lake Arthur, Louisiana
2 days ago my daughter noticed one of our hens had a foamy eye…last night I started to google and everything that I’m reading is freaking me out. This morning I went and got vetRX and cleaned her eye up and treated her with the vetRX. The picture is what it looked like 5min after I had just cleaned it. Now the coop was very dusty before I changed it last night and I’m thinking that it may need better ventilation because the little window and the door for them to go in and out are on the same side and that’s what stays open..there is a little door that I can prop open during the day though on the other side that I think will help with ventilation… I guess my question is does foamy eyes always mean MG or could it be something that isn’t so serious?

Attachments

• 4C364D21-A8D5-49F3-A9BC-9FF7C6C044A9.jpeg
    4C364D21-A8D5-49F3-A9BC-9FF7C6C044A9.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 7
Could be something in her eye. I've had a couple get foamy eyes, I just rinse with saline. Sometimes they can get irritated from dust/dirt.

The foam on the eye is due to excessive tearing. Certainly not always MG; it can be an eye injury, irritation (dust, ammonia, ..), or a respiratory infection. There are many causes for foamy eyes.

Is it only one eye or both? If it's both eyes, it can well be the result of dust and/or ammonia fumes if there is no proper ventilation. Are there any other signs of illness?

The foam on the eye is due to excessive tearing. Certainly not always MG; it can be an eye injury, irritation (dust, ammonia, ..), or a respiratory infection. There are many causes for foamy eyes.

Is it only one eye or both? If it's both eyes, it can well be the result of dust and/or ammonia fumes if there is no proper ventilation. Are there any other signs of illness?

No other signs, she’s pooping regularly and poop looks normal, she’s eating fine, I don’t hear a rattle or noise like she is struggling to breathe or anything, she’s alert.. she really seems fine except for that one eye. After I cleaned it and put her separate, I went back a couple hrs later and the bubbles were nearly almost gone they looked way better… but I put some more vetRX and the bubbles came back. Maybe there is something in her eye. I’m going to try to rinse her eye out with saline. Thank you guys so much cause everything I read was really making me freak out!

I would keep her in a dust-free environment separate from the others and make sure she has access to proper food and water. I would expect her to be fine, but you never know what disease she might carry. Watery eyes are pretty common and can be a sign of many underlying conditions, but as long as she is not lethargic, I would not freak out. We have some viral infections ourselves, too, from time to time. There are some very well-informed people on the forum here, they might come with some extra tips and ideas :)

Back
Top Bottom