Foamy Poop

phoenixlady

In the Brooder
Sep 30, 2023
My Legbars 3-4 months old keep pooping foamy poop. I have treated 4 days with corrid, garlic and diameatceous earth. Otherwise very active and healthy

Attachments

• IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    667.4 KB · Views: 75
You can use that, or the goat wormer. Get an oral syringe, tractor supply carries usually down to 3 ml ones, most pharmacies carry them if you ask, many feed stores here do also.
The Safeguard dose is .23ml per pound of body weight orally, for 5 days in a row. You can round up to .25 ml for ease of measuring. An inexpensive digital kitchen scale is good for getting a weight, whenever you have a difficult to measure fraction, round up to the next measureable amount, not down. I lock mine in the coop at dark, go out early the next morning before light, take them off the roost one at a time and dose them. For the pastes you can just draw them up, for the goat wormer make sure you shake it up really good first, it settles out. Pull down on the wattles if they have them, or pry the beak open, put the medication in the front of the beak no more than 0.5 ml at a time and let them swallow (to reduce the risk of aspiration if you give too much at once). Repeat until the entire dose is given. Turn them out to the run and do the next, when the coop is empty you are done. If they don't like to be held, wrap them in a towel like a burrito to hold their wings.

Is it possible for you to get a fecal float test done? Some vets will do for you, some will not. It could be normal cecal droppings, those happen about every 10 droppings and are normal. If it's more often than that then other internal parasites are possible, coccidia is just one of them. What is the diet, including treats, sometimes dietary things can affect color and consistency of droppings. I would stop the diatomaceous earth, it can cause respiratory irritation and is not effective for internal parasites. Garlic won't treat them either and too much of it can cause a specific kind of anemia. That they are all acting normally is a good sign.

Is it possible for you to get a fecal float test done? Some vets will do for you, some will not. It could be normal cecal droppings, those happen about every 10 droppings and are normal. If it's more often than that then other internal parasites are possible, coccidia is just one of them. What is the diet, including treats, sometimes dietary things can affect color and consistency of droppings. I would stop the diatomaceous earth, it can cause respiratory irritation and is not effective for internal parasites. Garlic won't treat them either and too much of it can cause a specific kind of anemia. That they are all acting normally is a good sign.

A float test would be difficult. Pretty much one vet 30 min away and them it is a metropolitan area no livestock vets. The other side of me I need to enter USA and I cannot leave Canada with a chicken or a specimen.

Diet is purina non medicated feed. Garlic and I have not given treated recently. I sometimes give oyster shells because they live with an older hen who is closer to laying age. All the poops I see looking more or less like this.
Is there anything at tractor supply that could help. Should I up the corrid.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.png
    IMG_1067.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
I would think cecal but literally all their poops are foamy brown or yellow.

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom