Fodder for Ducks

annarogetta

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Holden Massachusetts
Looking to start growing fodder for my ducks and wonder where to start and what type is best for ducks.

Reason for wanting to grow fodder- long story short, had free ranging ducks on 4 acres, but now have a fischer cat and fox problem, have a pen, but for using a lot of water last year for the ducks to use and cleaning, it is just a dirt pit, and notice a major drop in egg production, expanding the pen this year and trying different methods for keeping their house clean, just want fodder so they don't sit in dirt/mud in the meantime, and something to munch on other than their pellet diet

Looking to start growing fodder for my ducks and wonder where to start and what type is best for ducks.

Reason for wanting to grow fodder- long story short, had free ranging ducks on 4 acres, but now have a fischer cat and fox problem, have a pen, but for using a lot of water last year for the ducks to use and cleaning, it is just a dirt pit, and notice a major drop in egg production, expanding the pen this year and trying different methods for keeping their house clean, just want fodder so they don't sit in dirt/mud in the meantime, and something to munch on other than their pellet diet
I typed in growing fodder and came up with this. https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=Growing+fodder
Hopefully this will answer some of your questions.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

This is what I plan to do this year I'll be making 2 this way since I have chickens they won't be able to dig it all up.
LL
and my ducks and geese will benefit from it also.

Last edited:
I use winter wheat seeds. I have this setup. You could do something similar - just get a shallow tray with holes in the bottom (that you can set somewhere that the drainage won't be a problem.

What I do is rinse the seeds in hot water, then soak them in lukewarm water overnight. I spread them about a quarter to half inch deep in the trays. I rinse them twice a day. After a couple of days, roots sprout. After a few more days, green leaves are up. After a few more days, there is a mat of wheat grass. You could then transfer that to their pen.

You can also sprout brassicas for them.

Back
Top Bottom