Food and water in coop or run or both?

rpchris

Songster
8 Years
Aug 27, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
Do I need to have food and water available inside the coop? Or is is sufficient to have it out in the run? Do chickens need to eat and drink at night when they are suppose to be sleeping in the coop?

I keep the food in the coop and water in the run. When I let them out in the morning they hightail it to the water and give me dirty looks. They have free entry in and out during the day.

My reasoning?
I use a big feeder. I do not want to pack it in and out everyday (obviously) and I am not going to leave it out because of attracting animals.

I also use a big waterer. No way am I moving it when full. I use the deep litter in the coop and do not want to deal with water spillage, or filling the waterer in the litter. (I have to fill with a hose) In the cold of winter I use smaller waterers in the coop and change the water twice daily to avoid freezing solid.

If your area is not too hot and you are diligent about letting them out early, then you can leave the water in the run. I would be leary of leaving the food out, though.

I have one flock of chickens, but they act like two separate flocks. My first set of 9 and my second set of 5. When I let everyone out in the morning, the younger 5 head back inside to eat & drink. The older 9 hog everything in the morning, so I make sure I put fresh water out in the morning in the coop and food. Outside I have two water containers, one it the foot dunking container, the other is for drinking only (I have weird chickens.
tongue.png
)

I plan to get a hanging feeder for inside the coop for this winter, but will still put food out for them in the run, depending on the weather.

Then when I left them free range, the water container I use inside the coop, I take out & put where they hang under the coop.

I do inside & outside, just because I want to make sure the younger ones are getting their share of food & water. I also have 3 pie times that I dole out treats, and have them in different areas of the run, just so they do not fight over snacks.

Hi, I only feed and water outside. When they are in for the night they are sleeping and pooping. Door opens earlier enough for them to get out and eat and drink. I have covered section of our run where their food and chicken nipples are. Food doesn't get wet and nipples are shaded from hot sun. Have feed storage box and hose in same area, so easy to keep up with. Chickens are messy little suckers and don't want the mess inside. Just my opinion. Works for my girls and wife and I.
Erik

I feed inside and water outside for 3 seasons. Of course, in the winter I bring everything inside because that's where the electrical outlets are for their heated waterers, but they end up spilling water and I spend a lot more time cleaning out wet shavings all winter!

I use a heated water bowl in the winter. The strap above the bowl keeps them from climbing up on the end...as well as the water height being at the height of their backs. Wet shavings not an issue after using this for years.

35063_winter_chicken_waterer.jpg

Otherwise, it is water outdoors, feed and water always indoors.

Last edited:
I have 17 birds...we do water and food in the coop. I leave water in the run, and have a small feeder that I fill daily and bring it to them for their run when I'm giving them their produce for the day. I'm already bringing something out, so it isn't a big deal to set it out, or pull it at night when I close up the coop. I don't leave it outside because of other critters it may attract. At a minimum I'd suggest having water in the run if you don't do food so they have water in both places.

Last edited:
6chicks&aduck :

what ever is easiest for you , and works well for your coop and climate , I have food and water inside , and water also outside, no food

Me too. Food and water inside/water outside. I use nipples on the bottom of water bottles, so spillage and mess is never an issue.
Their inside coop area is inside a shed which is where the food is stored. Easier to fill the feeder than if it were outside in the run where I would have to go all the way around to fill the feeder.
Also, in the beginning, they wouldn't go inside to roost at night. When I started putting the food inside, they would go in and out and it helped them get used to where "Home" was.

Edited to add: I do give them treats and things in their run. I will stuff a suet feeder with greens and they sometimes get oatmeal and such. Any food outside of their layer pellets, they get in the run.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom