Food for injured hens? (pics of injuries included)

JuliaSunshine

Songster
Apr 3, 2022
West coast Canada
Two of my chickens got bitten by a dog 5 days ago and have been treated separately.
They are not eating much of the usual feed but they gobble up scrambled eggs, oats or scratch when I give a little too them.
Still, the amount they eat daily seems quite a bit less than their usual intake as I gave those special food sparingly, something like a half of a very small egg and 2 tea spoons of oats per chicken a day.
Their wounds are pretty deep so they must need lots of protein. Would it be okay to give them more egg or a little beef and broth?
I read that chickens can have diarrhea when they have too much protein.
What's good for chickens recovering from injuries when they barely eat their usual feed?
The first pic is my 17 month old hen bitten on the back and the second is 5 month old pullet bitten on the stomach.

20230925_143712.jpg

20230926_095043.jpg

give them whatever they want to eat, real food, like eggs, milk, sardines, live mealworms; lots of protein and a variety of minerals are needed to repair those awful injuries and fight off infections that will be trying to take hold in those wounds.

I have had birds recover from such wounds; good luck.

I hope they are OK. I would mash their food with water, or just feed then scrambled eggs and cooked plain Oatmeal. Protien is good for growth, so maybe give them some meal worms. Chickens usualy LOVE them. Just be careful about infection.

Back
Top Bottom