Food for putting weight on sickly chickens

veganloraine

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 13, 2012
We have 6 rescued spent hens. They have been through a lot and their bodies and minds are finally starting to heal from their lives in battery cages. Some of them are really really thin and I was wondering if there were certain foods I could feed them to put a bit of weight on their bodies. We are not eating them - ever, but want them to be as healthy as they can be. Any feeding advice would be appreciated.

I would think some extra kitchen scraps maybe like bread might work. You probably don't want to give them too much extras to keep from unbalancing the regular diet. Maybe look at the fat content of feed in your area, and a few kitchen scraps added. I'm no expert at all, but its just my first thaught.

It seems like battery hens probably don't get the most quality food in the world so just a good healthy diet overall should help. JMO.

Thank you all for the great advice. They actually do have their beaks, but some of them are overgrown. Hoping the peck peck pecking will wear them down a bit. We feed them back several of their eggs, usually raw. Will look into adding some sour cream. Thank you!

Caution flag on the raw egg going up...I don't know how true it is but some say it can encourage egg eating as if an egg should break, but also if they are run down cooking will eliminate any bacteria in the raw part. Besides it's not as messy and hard to clean up. :)

We don't care if they eat their own eggs. We took them in to improve the quality of their lives. If eating their own eggs does that, we are okay with it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom