FOODS TO HELP MY GIRLIES LAY?

vodkalady

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 14, 2013
am wondering if there are any good foods to feed my girls to help them lay more in the colder months? i already do the good chicken feed and oyster shell and grit and i give them canned corn and cabbage leaves and other foods...i know i do spoil them and they get clean water twice a day. just seems like once it gets colder here in ny they tend to lay less and they are only 1 1/2 yrs old. i have 16 and average 8 a day..thanks

If they are a year and a half old (18 months), then they should be having their first adult molt anytime now. A molting chicken does not lay and no food in the world is going to make her lay. You can up their protein by offering them high protein foods that helps them complete their molt, grow in new feathers faster, but that's about it. Some good high protein treats would be things like BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), plain yogurt, cheese, scrambled eggs, dry cat food (go easy on that), etc.

oh wow..thanks for that...no they have never molted yet..ugh...not looking forward to that at all

You said ...."good chicken feed" ... what type exactly are you feeding them? With 16 girls you should be getting more than 8 per day I would think.

You said ...."good chicken feed" ... what type exactly are you feeding them? With 16 girls you should be getting more than 8 per day I would think.
Sorry, I disagree based on the fact that the OP said they are 18 months old. It's prime molting time.

Back
Top Bottom