foot problems

HSerChickLady

Songster
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
upstate NY
I just noticed one of my hens has a problem with both of her feet. It's between the toes, in the webbed part. On the outer webbed area she has a fairly good sized lump, on the one foot it's bluish in the center, on the other foot it's just the bulge. The inner web are on both feet don't have a bulg yet but do look a tad swollen. I'm not able to get a hold of her right now to see if there's a problem on the underside-rooster wont let me near her. I looked in my book but i couldn't find anything except Bumblefoot and this didn't fit the description exactly. Got any ideas?

Sure sounds like Bumblefoot to me....You will need to catch her, wash her feet well, and inspect them closely.

OK, we'll have to try taking her off the roost tomorrow night and getting a better look at things. Is this treatable here or does she need to see the vet?

IF it's bumblefoot, you can do the surgery yourself if you want to. I've done it and I was scared at first, but I did it and all went well! I have a couple of sites you can look at if you decide that's the problem:
http://successwithpoultry.blogspot.com/2009/09/bumblefoot-chicken.html
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/bumblefoot-how-to-treat-your-chickens-with-surgery-graphic-pics

Many people here have done it themselves and the chickens tolerate it without seeming to be in any pain at all. Let us know what you decide!

Thanks for the links, very helpful. I'm going to pull her off the roost tonight so we can get a good look at her feet. After looking at the links i think Bumblefoot is likely our issue. But i don't think this is anything we are comfortable taking care of ourselves so i'm probably going to make her a vet appointment and let my vet do the surgery. After that i'll likely keep her in a cage in the coop so she's with the other birds in the flock still but isn't running in the dirt or sitting on the perches till her feet heal up.

Now i wonder what caused it? I've seen mud and perches mentioned as causes. I'd rather not have this happen again if i can help it. I've been wanting to fill their run with sand, which will be happening this weekend i hope, and that should keep the run drier even though it's not a mud pit by any means (but it does get wet when it rains). For perches we have dowel rods and a slanted 2x4 they roost on. This particular bird usually sleeps on the 2x4.

I wanted to update on how things are going.

I did take her to the vet on friday and he was soooo glad i didn't do the surgery thing. He was pretty upset when i told him there are even you tube video's showing people to do this. He said that cutting into the foot is the last thing you should be doing to treat bumblefoot. He told me doing so was instead a great way to push the infection further up the leg and to give other strains of bacteria a place to take up residence. He also didnt think antibiotics were a good idea either as it would make her eggs inedible for quite a while.

So instead he has me soaking her feet in Nolvasan solution 3 times a day (5 min each time). Then he gave me a topical ointment to put on her feet. I am seeing improvement already. The bottom of her feet is less swollen, the bumps between her toes are also down some, and the bluish/bruise like coloration is gone leaving just slight pinkishness to the skin.

I am keeping her confined to a dog crate so that i can catch her without anymore stress than necessary to her or the resident rooster. I am keeping her in the house at night since her crate doesn't fit in the coop and by day we put her cage in the run so she's still with her flock mates (though not pleased to be stuck in there instead of running with the others). Hopefully it'll only be a few more days before she's all cleared up and ready to be returned to the flock for good.

When I first got into chickens, one or two of my hens developed "bumble foot". I did all the surgery, soaked in meds, etc. Eventually, I stopped doing anything as the hens that I did not treat, got well on their own. So, in my experience, DO NOTHING. They will all live long and useful lives...without bumblefoot surgery. I have discussed this situation with several "chicken-idiots" and they all agree.

Good to know. I haven't been able to soak her 3 times a day, just 2 and was worried i might just prolong things. But if she decides 5 minutes is too long i also won't push it. And if she decides to no longer cooperate we might just quit soaking altogether. She was starting to have some trouble walking but if she wasn't i probably would have skipped all this work, and it is a lot of work right now keeping her in the cage. The soaking part is no biggie at all. It's the lugging a cage twice a day across my yard and her kicking shavings all over my laundry room that the dog and cats and kids then track through the entire house that is the hard part. lol!

Looked up Novalsan. Here's the description: Virucidal, Bactericidal, Fungicidal Concentrate For Disinfecting Equipment And Premises. Dilution Rates Range From 1 Oz/Gal To 6 Oz/Gal Depending On Intended Use Ingredients: Tocopheryl, vitamin e, benzyl alcohol, and ethyl alcohol.

Sounds like it's a good option when the infection isn't too far along. Since Bumblefoot is a staph infection - I would be VERY leary of not doing anything as a true staph infection will become systemic and most likely kill the chicken. I hope this soak works and will be interested in the outcome. Looks like this stuff can be bought online so if it works, I'll be buying it!

In the alternative - I've done the surgery with great success AND the support of my vet who lauded my actions and jokingly called me a collegue. If you do it correctly and with all the proper precautions, it's usually successful

I love Nolvasan. Our vet's office has us use it for all wounds, fungal infections, etc. that our animals have had and we have had good luck using it on absesses in the past. I hope it keeps working. Staph makes me nervous so i really hope she continues to cooperate for her soaks. I'm planning to keep up the soaks for a few days after the feet look normal too just to be sure it's truelly all cleared. Hopefully by week's end it'll be cleared.

I have the Chicken Health Handbook and that says mortality is 50% if untreated. That's why i didn't want to ignore it.
Looked up Novalsan. Here's the description: Virucidal, Bactericidal, Fungicidal Concentrate For Disinfecting Equipment And Premises. Dilution Rates Range From 1 Oz/Gal To 6 Oz/Gal Depending On Intended Use Ingredients: Tocopheryl, vitamin e, benzyl alcohol, and ethyl alcohol.

Sounds like it's a good option when the infection isn't too far along. Since Bumblefoot is a staph infection - I would be VERY leary of not doing anything as a true staph infection will become systemic and most likely kill the chicken. I hope this soak works and will be interested in the outcome. Looks like this stuff can be bought online so if it works, I'll be buying it!

In the alternative - I've done the surgery with great success AND the support of my vet who lauded my actions and jokingly called me a collegue. If you do it correctly and with all the proper precautions, it's usually successful

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom