Foot stomping chickens

mrgreeny11

Chirping
Jul 31, 2013
Collingwood Park QLD Australia
Hi all, I have recently Noticed that when my chickens are roosting for the night they tap/stomp their legs :yiipchick. They only do it every 30 seconds or so. My coop is about 40 feet from my verandah (AKA porch) and I hear it easily. Tap tap tap ect.
Has anyone else seen this or know why they are doing it. Maybe something to do with blood circulation??????

Hi all, I have recently Noticed that when my chickens are roosting for the night they tap/stomp their legs
yippiechickie.gif
. They only do it every 30 seconds or so. My coop is about 40 feet from my verandah (AKA porch) and I hear it easily. Tap tap tap ect.
Has anyone else seen this or know why they are doing it. Maybe something to do with blood circulation??????
I can only speak for myself, but I would highly recommend getting rid of those "dowel-type" roosting bars entirely. Use a 2 x 4 with the FLAT side up...gives your birds more secure footing, and during the winter months they can squat over their feet to keep them warm....JMHO, and best of luck!!

They may be tapping with their beaks? ...... or resettling their feet?

Chickens do a lot of weird stuff.....who knows why they do what they do.

Larger diameter branches might be a good idea, lots of folks successfully use branches for roosts, I prefer wide side up 2x4's tho.

Makes sense to use a 2x4 cos sometimes the brown hen sleeps on top of the nest boxes and it is a flat ledge.
I used posts from trees, old pallets and recycled tin to build the coup and the roost. I used it for the roost and coup because I thought it would be more natural for the chickens and a more echo friendly alternative to buying timber ect.
(The trees had already been cut down for housing development)

Makes sense to use a 2x4 cos sometimes the brown hen sleeps on top of the nest boxes and it is a flat ledge.
I used posts from trees, old pallets and recycled tin to build the coup and the roost. I used it for the roost and coup because I thought it would be more natural for the chickens and a more echo friendly alternative to buying timber ect.
(The trees had already been cut down for housing development)
Yes, use 2 x 4 laying flat and I think you'll see a difference in their "attitude" !!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom