For all Moms--- The Useful Apron

My mother still cannot cook without her apron on. My sister, who lives with my mother, makes ALL my mother's aprons. She has to b/c my mother MUST have a pocket on her apron for her tissue. She HAS to have a tissue available at all times. They are just a length of fabric for the string ties, and a big rectangle gathered up and sewn into the strings. I have been planning to get some old fashioned oil cloth to make an apron for me, as I get my cloths so wet when I wash dishes.

Pampered Chef has a really nice denim one. Since the tie that goes around the neck and the one that goes around the waist is one long piece, it fits everyone. You can also adjust how high up your torso the top goes. It would be nice to be able to get it in different colors, but would make a nice pattern for people to copy from.

Go to your nearest fabric store and peruse the patterns. I bought an apron pattern recently and made two aprons: a chicken one for me and a horse one for my daughter. We love them!!

Boy, I'm probably gonna be sorry for telling everyone this, but, I have found many old aprons at these little antique shops and stores around the country. I have quite a collection of them, and use them often, especially holidays. It makes me feel closer to loved ones gone on. I only wish I had some of my mother's and grandmother's aprons. Grandmama wore her's all the time. Mother mostly wore her's when she was hanging out clothes. We didn't have those nifty little clothes pin bags that hang on the clothesline. I'll bet some of you have never had the pleasure of hanging out clothes, only to have them freeze solid. One one the old time things I don't really miss....LOL

Thanks for the apron story. I love my apron. I have an old blue one that was so far gone I now use it just to paint in and i always have one on for cooking. My mom finds it humorous that I wear an apron, She never has. I just find them to be practical.

Amy

Quote:
i love to sew my own with a few vintage patterns from the 30's ~ however, eBay often has some very fun selections ~ have fun, but be warned, eBay can be addictive (& I think it's safe to say that a number of us here on BYC are slightly OCD....) {;>)=

http://clothing.search.ebay.com/apron_Vintage_W0QQfromZR34QQsacatZ110
~Red
edited to add ~ here are some great vintage & new apron patterns as well ~ have fun! {;>)=

Last edited:
Sorry, Mangled...about not getting back to you sooner. I make my own, and have found some vintage ones at a great second hand shop. I just looked online and copied for the ones I made. I made my 4 daughters aprons for Christmas...They love'em! Let me find a picture...

Tanya

Here's a pic (oh my
roll.png
please excuse the renovation in progress behind the beautiful daughters of mine...)

Christmas07035.jpg

Tanya

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom