For days and still bad - rooster de-spurred

Chickalombo

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2023
Hi everyone I have been reading through previous threads trying to figure out what is going on with my boy.

Four nights ago I de-spurred my rooster with some pliers for the first time ever knowing that he has caused some damage to my girls and I had to buy and make hen saddles for them to help. Everything looked fine up for that put cornstarch on his Spurs and there was some like seeping but I popped him back in the coop because he seemed ok. Next morning his Spurs looked really black and had blister like shapes to them. I saw they got nicked on the way down from the perch and started bleeding a little bit. That night because he is hard to catch unless on the perch I grabbed him and went inside and gave him a hot bath. Which I didn't realise was too hot until he'd been in there for a little bit. I quickly got him out and put him into some cooler water but his spurs still look awful, black and like it is covered in some gross stuff. So I've been putting antiseptic cream on him and wrapping his spurs each day so he can still be with the girls because they free range and need him around to keep an eye on them.

He knocked a spur again today when I went to pick him up and just started bleeding quite profusely a big red drops of blood. A clean them up search his feet put the cream on raptim and put him back in the coupe I feel like I need to keep him inside tomorrow which I probably should have already been doing and I'm really worried about what is going on with his Spurs. Anyone have any help everything I'm reading says it after two days it should start going back but this does not look right. I will take some photos in the morning to post with this.

As long as he looks okay physically I would just keep antibiotic ointment and a bandage on it that you change every 24 hours. You can also wash it periodically and put vetericyn spray on it. Iwould also get some Aquamox (amoxicilin antibiotic) if you don't already have it on hand. If he looks like infection is setting in, or he looks ill just give him some of the antibiotic. Let me know if you need links to where to find it.

When the blood clots on the spur, it looks black in color and it's very easy to start bleeding again if it's bumped or scraped. Blood Stop powder usually works but I've found it to be like corn starch.

Did you see a smaller spur after removing the the bigger spur with the pliers? Usually there's less blood if the smaller spur is still there, more blood if both spurs are removed.

I recommend that you continue to use the cornstarch or Blood Stop powder. It will eventually clot. Yes, it'll look nasty for awhile but dont mess with it. It will eventually heal and clear up even though it may still look black in color after the healing process.

Next time you remove a spur, use a Dremel tool with a grinding disc.
Wrap the rooster snugly in a towel, I use several clothespins to keep the towel snug. Tie his legs together ( I use a small length of clothesline) with his feet exposed at one end of the towel and his head exposed at the other end. Then cover his head with a small towel so he can breathe easier and protect his eyes, and he wont get excited looking at you.

Then get to work cutting through the spurs, one at a time. He might flinch a little, be aware of that. When grinding through the spur, I take a very short break to let the spur cool abit. Then continue grinding and take another short break, usually 3-4 short breaks does it.
The heat from the grinding disc cauterizes blood, so there isnt any bleeding at all. That includes cutting through the second smaller spur.

Then flop him over and repeat grinding through the other spur on his other leg.
Once your done, I recommend putting a small dab of Blu-Kote on each spur...not too much Blu-Kote, it's very runny and if you get it on your hands or fingers, you're going to be wearing it for awhile.

Then untie him, unwrap him, and return him to his girls and let him go. Done.

As long as he looks okay physically I would just keep antibiotic ointment and a bandage on it that you change every 24 hours. You can also wash it periodically and put vetericyn spray on it. Iwould also get some Aquamox (amoxicilin antibiotic) if you don't already have it on hand. If he looks like infection is setting in, or he looks ill just give him some of the antibiotic. Let me know if you need links to where to find it.
id like those links please

When the blood clots on the spur, it looks black in color and it's very easy to start bleeding again if it's bumped or scraped. Blood Stop powder usually works but I've found it to be like corn starch.

Did you see a smaller spur after removing the the bigger spur with the pliers? Usually there's less blood if the smaller spur is still there, more blood if both spurs are removed.

I recommend that you continue to use the cornstarch or Blood Stop powder. It will eventually clot. Yes, it'll look nasty for awhile but dont mess with it. It will eventually heal and clear up even though it may still look black in color after the healing process.

Next time you remove a spur, use a Dremel tool with a grinding disc.
Wrap the rooster snugly in a towel, I use several clothespins to keep the towel snug. Tie his legs together ( I use a small length of clothesline) with his feet exposed at one end of the towel and his head exposed at the other end. Then cover his head with a small towel so he can breathe easier and protect his eyes, and he wont get excited looking at you.

Then get to work cutting through the spurs, one at a time. He might flinch a little, be aware of that. When grinding through the spur, I take a very short break to let the spur cool abit. Then continue grinding and take another short break, usually 3-4 short breaks does it.
The heat from the grinding disc cauterizes blood, so there isnt any bleeding at all. That includes cutting through the second smaller spur.

Then flop him over and repeat grinding through the other spur on his other leg.
Once your done, I recommend putting a small dab of Blu-Kote on each spur...not too much Blu-Kote, it's very runny and if you get it on your hands or fingers, you're going to be wearing it for awhile.

Then untie him, unwrap him, and return him to his girls and let him go. Done.
Thank you very much for this it is very helpful. I don't have a Dremel tool but I guess I'm going to have to go invest in one which is fine I just love this boy so much and I didn't want anything bad to happen to him but also don't want the girls to keep getting hurt.

I've got him inside today nice and quiet it looks like it's bled through the bandages again but I'll head down to the local farm shops and see if I can find something that will help with it like the blood stop and bluekote. I guess people don't really talk about what it's meant to look like once you've done it and I was so stressed because I couldn't find anything and everything says he should stop bleeding pretty much immediately and he has not. There's definitely the quick there he's got some pretty long Spurs though

I had to remove spurs from my rooster when they started growing into the back of his legs. They were so thick that dog nail clippers wound not fit. He did fine, although the spur buds were red and sore for a few days. If your rooster were mine, I would remove any dressings, and confine him to a dog crate with food and water for a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom