For those having trouble candling dark/colored eggs.

Ceinwyn

Chirping
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Southeast Ohio
I have never had any luck candling very dark brown or colored eggs.
I still use my led flashlight to monitor aircells though . Tonight my led flashlight burned out so I grabbed my husbands flashlight out of his hunting bag.
OMG! I can see blood veins and the chicks moving for the first time.
Not sure if anyone else has tried this flashlight but I was truly amazed at what Im able to see.
Its a Remington blood tracker using the red light led only.
I can see with the dual light as well but its brightness seems to bother the chicks.
They are available at walmart in the hunting area for $15.
Hope this is able to help any of you that have been unable to find something that can see into dark/colored eggs.
Good luck to everyone on their hatches.

Another really good flashlight for candling is the mag light. It's pretty bright and I can see through all the really dark eggs. I made a collar to put on the top of the light so that the light is smaller and more concentrated to the size of the egg. I don't know about dark brown because I don't do Marans but I was able to see in all but one of my Easter egger eggs that were dark green last hatch. It worked great.

the nice thing about the remington is its the right size for the eggs blunt end so it needs nothing added to it.
its the red light on it that makes the red blood veins almost glow inside the egg making things really easy to see but the light doesnt bother the embryos like a bright white light can.
I like the led lights as they dont heat up the egg while candling as well.

interesting... never thought of using a red light but it makes sense. I'll have to try that... thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom