For those of you who have rabbits and keep them outside?

We have 4 meat rabbits and I take them out in turn in a metal wire dog crate, I move it around my yard, it's not that big(no running room but 2 rabbits graze nicely) but it fits so nicely between my raised beds for extra munching possibilities;)I hope that soon my stupid animal bylaw that prohibites my rabbit hutch from being outside changes that way I can build a nice grow out pen.

Willow's Meadow :

I am thinking about maybe getting 2-3 rabbits. Maybe!!!! I know if we did there would be NO WAY we could keep them inside. Can you guys post pics of your rabbits outside in there hutches/homes? I don't know much about rabbits. Could I keep them in our barn with the chickens or section of am area for them? What do they eat? Do you let the out like chickens or do they always stay in their home? Any links for rabbit info? Where do you/did you buy rabbits, from craiglist, a breeder?? What breed would be good for a breeder? How old should they be when you get them? I am a newbie to it. Just want some pics and info, that would be great!!!!

I want to have them as pets. I am not going to let them loose! I am getting both answers on whether or not to let the with the chickens, should I or should I not? They WOULD NOT be on the ground next to the chickens. They would just be in the same barn, however the chickens would be in one side and the rabbits would be in a hutch of the ground. Would that work?

I keep mine in an airconditioned shed. It works out really nice. Yes you could keep off a section for your rabbits. Rabbits eat pellet or a rabbit mix. You can find this at a pet store or a feed store. I like to feed mine A-1 because I have show rabbits. They also love table scraps such as carrots, old peelings, they go crazy for ratishes. I once in a while like to feed them some fruit. They really love papaya too and it helps so they don't get wool block. My rabbit Ace gets the whole yard as a run and doesn't even have a cage. I have a few smaller runs for my other rabbits (my males don't get along) so they have to be in different runs. All of mine came from breeders, again, because I show them. You can get them from craigslist, rescues, breeders, or someone who just had a bunny accidental breeding.Um, all rabbit breeds are amazing. If you are just starting lets say a rabbitry I would go with an easier breed like Mini rex or Mini Lop. I breed Angora and Mini Rex, angora's are not very easy.

Good luck! Pet rabbits are great and I love mine so much. Have fun!​

You can suspend your rabbits in cages above your chickens and the birds will work their manure and urine into deep litter bedding, as well as cleaning up any dropped food pellets. They will also help keep your coop warmer in the winter and the added bonus is that all your pet mess/manure is in one place.

Tame rabbits are easy prey for predators if you free range them in your open yard space. Better to have them in a tractor setup if you want them to have fresh graze in the daytime.

I know there is a lot of controversy about what they need to eat and I don't want to start a debate.

My bunnies eat only hay and veggies. They are 4 yrs old and very healthy...never been sick. This is what my vet told me ...that bunnies don't need pellets. I have 3 bunnies who are all spayed/neutured and they live happily together.

Quote:
Your bunnies are very lucky.
smile.png
Most can't handle veggies like that and need pellets. They are OK without them as long as you they are getting the right amount of nutrition. It takes a lot of knowledge to keep them healthy like that on a non pellet diet.

Its good that you aren't going to follow the let them run free advice.
smile.png
Here is more of my yard pens. I actually expanded the one. Something to consider using in case you do cage the bunny inside. I really like the rabbit cages posted above too. Those are really nice you guys.

luckybunnies007.jpg

luckybunnies006.jpg

luckybunnies005.jpg

luckybunnies004.jpg

30078_image008.jpg

This is Mocha. He lives in a bunny tractor. It's 2ft tall, 2 ft wide and 10ft long. Mocha lives with Latte (both are fixed). At one end is a 2X2 cube for them to sleep in, and it moves along a 2X60 ft shelf (terriaced backyard). They eat bunny food, veggie peelings, melon rinds, and grass that grows under thier pen's path.

Back
Top Bottom