for those that use deep litter method...please advise me

So glad to read this- I am going to use the DLM, as well, but have no experience with it. What about the poop boards? I really, really don't want to be in there cleaning constantly. Do you all use them or not? Or is it something that really helps the deep litter stay cleaner? Please say no! LOL!!

Quote:
Good, that means that I do not have to install them. Just put the shaving on the wood
floor and let the chickens and nature do the rest. I think that I am going to love the DLM.
bow.gif

Too bad that I have been beating myself up, no more of that.
celebrate.gif

I clean my coop once a year. Shavings work best, as straw tends to tangle up and does not break down and decompose as well. I never use lime, pdz or any insecticides, as I do not want any chemical residues in my eggs, and the insecticides will also kill the fly predators that control the fly population. I do scoop out the poopiest spot under the favorite night roost about once a week, and turn the bedding with a fork every few weeks. This time of year I am adding a bag of bedding every few weeks, with the goal of about 14 inches by the time the seriously cold weather arrives.

Quote:
Really, is it because it acts and an insulator on the floor? My coop sits about 4 feet off the ground,
should I put that much shavings in my coop as well? Please explain more if you can.

As I understand it, the deep litter is fermenting and giving off heat (composting, if you will) and it will insulate the floor as well. I researched Dlm a lot when building the coop. Love it, no poop boards no smell. I add a whole bag of pine about once a month.

Back
Top Bottom