Foraging and egg production

Shepshill

Songster
Feb 19, 2018
New Jersey
I have a tractor coop (with an 6 x 8 extension on wheels) that I try to move every week to tens days— it’s pretty heavy and hard to move which is why I don’t move it more often. Recently, I purchased poultry netting so that I could expand their grazing area. It is working out well so far, but I have noticed a big drop off in egg laying. Is it likely the two things are related? I read that too many treats can reduce egg production, but I didn’t think that included forage. Thoughts? I have one three-year old chicken and four that turned a year in May.

I wouldn’t guess them to be related.
I keep my flock in a coop with two fully enclosed runs. Once in a while, in the evening, I let them out to forage and get their greens. Always after doing this, I have a day or two of increased production.

That could be it, I suppose.
I would just wait it out for a while to see how long it goes on.

Other causes:
Change in feed
Change in treats
Parasites
Stress/fear
Not enough fresh water

Whenever I have a big egg production drop, I look for a secret nest. It is amazing how well they can hide one in pretty near plain sight. Being you are letting them out in a new place, that is what I think it is. Take out a cup of coffee and just sit awhile, when you hear the egg song, you will see where it is coming from.

Very hot weather, can also temporarily drop egg production, but a sudden big drop, I am betting they found a place they like better, and nearly every chicken will agree and lay there. You can either just leave the nest, and collect from there, or keep them confined a little longer in the morning, so they lay where you want.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom