Forcing pecking order shakeup?

ChrissyNC

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
Richlands, NC
I have one GL Wyandotte who is pecking to the point of drawing blood on several of my other 6 wk old chicks. At first I seperated out the one that had been bloodied on her throat and tail, waited until she was healed up a bit, but when I put her back, the GLW raced right on over and started in on her again. I seperated out the GLW this time, and the others seem to be getting along quite well. So, here's my question, can I force a shakeup in the pecking order by keep the GLW seperated long enough that when she is put back in the coop with the rest, she won't randomly attack again? I'd hate to have to give her away or cull her permanently. (I am already addressing other things like temp stress, boredom, lack of protein, etc.)

Keep the aggressor seperate and out of sight of the rest for a few weeks and then reintroduce where they can see each other for a few days. Then turn them loose together. That way the mean bird is venturing into others territory and will likey settle in without to many issues.

Back
Top Bottom